We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
Day tour

Hello!

I am travelling to Bali for the first time in October, and I have done a lot of research in to places I want to go. We are staying in Ubud, then Gilli T and then Seminyak.

I have found the below tour, which covers off a lot of the places I want to visit, however should I wait until we are there to book?

Would it be better just getting a driver for the day and would he be able to take us to all of these places? Just worried about getting ripped off as I don't know what the usual price is for this kind of thing, and if I just booked a driver it would cost more for entrance fees etc.

https://ubudadventures.com/bali_farm_tour.php

Any advice would be appreciated!! Also if it is better to book a driver in advance rather than when we are in Ubud, please let me know any recommended ones!

2 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,350 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Day tour

Hi Ellis,

It is just a "tour" booking website.

the rule is always just book yourself a private driver once you get there or take a personal recommendation.

You are dealing directly with the driver.

Me - I just got a driver off the street in front of our hotel in Ubud.

The important part of your post was "I have found the below tour, which covers off a lot of the places I want to visit"

Yes "a lot" but maybe not all and maybe stuff/places you'd rather not waste your time with.

PRIVATE DRIVER

You can hire a private Driver for IDR600k ~ $45~ 33quid for the day (9am to 6/7pm ish). That is for the whole van to yourself NOT per Person. You can set your own daily itinerary if you wish. Stop where you want, when you want, eat where and when you want. No fixed "time" itinerary.

Drivers often have itinerary suggestions.

People also use private Drivers for Transfers between destinations.

You should be Aware that traffic can be slow going around Bali. Even on longer distances you won't average much more than 20mph so take this into account when planning.

e.g. we Transfer to Amed on landing. It is not even 60miles but invariably takes 3hrs.

DPS to Ubud is only 25miles but usually take 1h30 during the day.

Please avoid Online Booking/tour agencies with Gimmicks like "lunch and entrance fees included". I've seen These People charging $49 PER PERSON!!!! You can get nice local Food mains for $6. Entrance fees to places like Monkey forest/temples/Waterfall are a couple of $ or free. These organised tours are very fixed itinerary (timewise) and they take you to places they get commission.

e.g. in Ubud you have www.ubudtaxi.com

They are a group of local drivers who offer tours and transfer services (there are no taxis in Ubud).

Also often recommended www.ubudareatours.com

You could of course book the above in advance. Remember you do not have to take their exact tour or any tour but take into account distance/time.

If you have an idea of day trips you'd like to do just ask.

ACTIVITIES

Like drivers book once in Bali for best prices.

Lots of outdoorsy stuff around Ubud like Whitewater rafting, Mt Batur Sunrise trek, downhill MTB and cycling tours, ATV Quad bike tours to Name a few.

Book These locally. Plenty of Tourist booths around where you can peruse what they have to offer. Most activities will include pickup/dropoff from your Hotel. Can haggle on Price if you wish. e.g. Whitewater Rafting takes place on the Ayung and Telaga Waja rivers near Ubud. Ayung shorter trip (8km) recommended for families. Telaga Waja Whiter and longer (12-18km depending on company). Both trips often advertise don line for $55. Can easily get either for $30.

Avoid booking online or "Combo tours".

If you book too far in advance you'll be fixed on those days and when you come to it maybe you wished you hadn't. Easy to book things locally just the day before.

YOUR ITINERARY

Have you booked everything. Did you do it yourself or travel agent.

Where are you staying in Ubud - could be important as regards fastboat services and easy access to town.

Have you researched fastboats etc e.g. You get best prices by booking in Bali and all fastboat services will include some sort of free pickups (and drop-offs on return) from Ubud and all major "southern resorts". Often directly at hotels.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Day tour

Thanks so much NotaPigsty that is really helpful.

We have booked a driver (recommended by a friend) to pick us up from the airport, and then take us to the port for Gilli T (boat fare included for 600k & return to Seminyak) but I was unsure whether he did day trips too, but from what you have said, it sounds like the majority of drivers do - so I will speak to him once we arrive as his English over email was not great and I didn't want to confuse him!

I booked all the hotels and transport myself, we are staying at the Lokha in Ubud, I know it is far out but that is fine as we do not mind walking and exploring / they have a shuttle if we go out in the evening.

Thanks again - I'll relax and wait until we get there then :)

Reply to: Day tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted