We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is ubud safe to stay ?

2 posts
Is ubud safe to stay ?

Am travelling to Bali in another 2 days. So I would like to know 8f it's safe to travel to Bali and stay in ubud.

Many thanks in advance.

10 replies to this topic
Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
86 posts
45 reviews
1. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

Seeing that no one can predict the future, all I can say is that I am here now and everything seems perfectly normal. I have seen no earthquake related damage. I was here last night when it happened and other than a case of the nerves, we suffered no ill effects.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

Can you please let us know what concerns you have about staying in Ubud?

Indonesia is located on the same ring of fire that it always has been. There will always be risk of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, nothing has changed.

2 posts
3. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

Yesterday I heard the news about earthquake in Lombok n also in Bali. So in our itenary we have ubud and also plan to visit kuta.So was bit worried about our travelling to Bali and stay in Ubud.But after reading other comments I feel ubud is safe for our stay.

Peliatan, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

If you are aware that you are traveling to a country which presents volcanism and tectonic quake risk, and if you are accept to bear the consequences in case a flight is delayed or so, then there is absolutely no risk. Ubud is 35 km away from the volcano, so anybody who says there is a risk cannot live 35 km away from Yellowstone, Etna, visual Vesuvio, Fuego, Popocatepetl etc. etc.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,354 posts
95 reviews
5. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

Also don't forget to worry about Dengue fever, Cobras and green tree vipers.

Also don't go snorkeling as you might step on a stonefish or scorpion fish.

Don't walk on the pavements at night as you won't see the big holes with the 3ft drop. Risk of broken leg high.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,481 posts
179 reviews
6. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

You are being naughty, Piggy.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,543 posts
889 reviews
7. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

Ubud is pretty safe, but make sure you wear a life vest if you do white water rafting. Also don't eat too much chili with you food unless you can handle spicy food. As for tsunamis, Ubud is 600m above sea level so it would take a massive wave of at least 1,000 to 1,500 feet high or more to reach Ubud. I believe the tsunami yesterday was about 6 inches high.

For earthquakes, these are completely unpredictable, they just happen out of nowhere. As some others have mentioned, if they could be predicted then many more people would have survived. And as others have mentioned, Bali is pretty much back to normal.

1 post
8. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

Yesterday’s tsunami resulted in a 3-meter (10-foot) -high tsunami and hence the tremendous damage and loss of life. My daughter is currently in Ubud and everything seems to be fine but I remain worried about aftershocks. Also worried about the advance warning systems in place - is there a higher ground to go to for safety - thanks

Lastly historically has water come to Ubud before thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
56 reviews
9. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

Ubud is 600m above sea level. The tsunami was 3m high and 1,600 km away.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
60 reviews
10. Re: Is ubud safe to stay ?

Sunny - Ubud is 600 meters above sea level. Perhaps the last time "historically has water come to Ubud" was around the time of Noah and his ark.

Reply to: Is ubud safe to stay ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted