We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

1 post
1 review
is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

We have a trip to Bali in 3 weeks... Is an earthquake or tsunami likely to be a threat in that time? Is there anyone who know of some source I can check to keep me updated.

20 replies to this topic
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
23,144 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

That is a complete unknown. You need to follow the news and accordingly, make your own decision.

Mortdale, Australia
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
45 reviews
2. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

Mt Agung Daily Report on FB gives up to date reports...but aa far as in 3 weeks time ...who knows!!! Remember the earthquake was on Lombok not Bali. Bali felt it due to its proximity to Lombok

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
119 reviews
3. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

Sorry, we're only tourists same as yourself and have to gauge our decisions on what we hear in the media and from other sources. One thing I would do is to ensure that my insurance covered me for natural disasters.

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,930 posts
116 reviews
4. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

Bali sits on the earthquake line and has always had them, these ones are just bigger.

No one knows.

Australians can register with smart traveller but I am not sure where you are from.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,455 posts
866 reviews
5. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

You could take a look at the ASEAN Earthquake Information Center which has lots of useful links:

http://aeic.bmkg.go.id/aeic/aeiclink.html

However, earthquakes cannot be predicted and scientists can only predict that along major faults in the earth's crust that sometime in the future an earthquake will likely occur. But there is absolutely no way to predict when an earthquake will occur or the likelihood of it occurring in say three weeks time. Tsunamis only occur following a major earthquake, so only when a major earthquake has occurred can predictions of tsunamis be made.

I did hear on local tv that yesterday's earthquake was the big one and they said that any further earthquakes will probably just be less powerful aftershocks. But who knows for certain.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 10:31
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,130 posts
89 reviews
6. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

Nobody in the world can tell you that.

Don't you think that somebody would have told those poor people yesterday to evacuate if anything was known or could be predicted.

If you really want to be sure then the only thing you can do is never travel to Bali/Lombok or Indonesia.

The best you can do is polish your crystal ball, deal some tarot cards and throw some runes and have a cup of tea.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,408 posts
177 reviews
7. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

Many years ago I lived in Wellington New Zealand for 3 years. From time to time there would be some rattling and shaking going on but after it was over, the plates were put back in the cupboard and the books back on the shelves, everyone just went on as normal. Of course that was before the internet so people didn’t have any way of knowing about it and therefore being afraid to visit the city.

Sometimes the media tend to beat things up.

8. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2018, 16:24

Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

I will be flying to Bali in 2weeks and it's my first time, but a bit scared of the news and earthquakes still don't know if to cancel or not the flight but I know only that I want to visit Bali, and I will pray for it beig safe ! 😘

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
56 reviews
10. Re: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?

The earthquake was not on Bali.

Reply to: is Bali safe to travel to in 3 weeks?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted