We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to bali and gilli today?

1 post
Travelling to bali and gilli today?

Hi Ihave a vacation planned to bali and gilli islands in the coming week. My flight is in the evening today. Please suggest if it makes sense to travel considering the earthquake.

10 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
96 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

That is a question that only you can answer. What others suggest will only be their opinion. If you don't feel it's safe for you then don't go. Earthquakes and volcanos are unpredictable. That might be the last quake or there maybe more unfortunately.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

Despite travelling to Bali many many times last night was the first time I experienced an earthquake.

Building shook a little for a few seconds.

We went outside and felt the ground move for two seconds.

I never felt in danger.

I'm staying and my holiday continues today, all back to normal.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,717 posts
206 reviews
3. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

Hi,

I would travel to Bali as normal, but I would reconsider going to the Gili Islands at the moment. Perhaps look at lembongan or Penida.

There has been damage on the Gilis, electricity is still out and the seas are often rougher than normal for dry season so fast boats are being cancelled on and off.

Cheers

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,291 posts
60 reviews
4. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

I am reading some reports of the Gilis being evacuated, but can't confirm at the moment.

australia
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
5. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

A friend who lives in Bali (Ubud) has also said the Gilis are being evacuated.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
32 reviews
6. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

All tourists are being evacuated from the Gilis this morning.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,403 posts
129 reviews
7. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

After the quake last night, flights at Bali Airport experienced delays to check runways but it was operational as normal. (If that is one of the factors in your decision). You can make your decision about going to the Gilis when you get here and see how the situation develops. A vacation on Bali does not necessarily have to include the Gilis to be enjoyable.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,815 posts
132 reviews
8. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

I have cancelled my stay on Gili.

Munich
Level Contributor
1,058 posts
41 reviews
9. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

Looks like Tsunami alert is cancelled. However, purely by speculation, Gili islands stands in a way if a Tsunami come (judging from epicenter) around and will be heavily affected. It wouldn't surprise if they were evecuated

denpasar
Level Contributor
902 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Travelling to bali and gilli today?

You can come to bali , there is not any problem here as of know.. everything is back to normal ...

But you should cancel your trip to gili islands especially if it will be around this week, they are evacuating the islands today..

Reply to: Travelling to bali and gilli today?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted