We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone plans in bali

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
Cell phone plans in bali

Hi guys i'm starting off my trip in Kuala Lumpur then heading to Bali/Lombok (where i'll be staying the longest) then heading to Tokyo.

1. Is there any cell phone plans I can get from KUALA LUMPUR that can be used in Bali and possibly in Tokyo too?

2. If not where in Bali can I get a plan or how easy is it to get a plan.

14 replies to this topic
Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

You can get a sim in Bali.

It needs to be registered now with Identification.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 05:05
Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
40 reviews
2. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

This may help.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g29…

Edited: 06 August 2018, 05:08
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
3. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

Thanks. Do you know if I can use that sim in Lombok and during a stop over in Jakarta/Indonisia?

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

Don't know but XL is fast getting a good reputation around Bali.

I'm impressed with download speeds.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
5. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

Thanks

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
35 reviews
6. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

Bill, as per your 3rd post, Lombok and Jakarta and still Indonesia so yes, a SIM bought in Bali will work in any part of the country. Don't bother trying to use the same SIM from KL as the costs are far too great, yes it will work but the credit will disappear very quickly. Get a Simpati card from Telkomsel and put credit on it, don't use the airport stall though as they are a huge rip off. There is a Telkomsel store at Bali Galleria or look up a Grapari store, they are scattered everywhere. You need a copy of your passport to register it, the same as KL. Download the "My Telkomsel" app and select English so you can manage your SIM. Currently the prices for data are 3GB 28,000 Rupiah, 5GB 36,000 Rupiah

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

Do you guys know what the process is for registering a SIM? I will have ID. I'm considering getting one at Lippo mall on my walk from the airport to Tuban. thanks

P.S. yes that's right, I'm walking with a small backpack. I love a bit of Jalan Jalan and without the family slowing me down I plan to make the most of it :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
35 reviews
8. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

Hamish it's simple, you give them your passport or a copy, they punch the keyboard on a computer for 5 minutes, hand your passport back and you walk away with a registered SIM

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
79 posts
9. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

Thanks Troy,

So basically i will need two sims. One I'd get in KL and the next I'd get in Bali that I can use all over Indonesia?

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: Cell phone plans in bali

That's correct Bill. The SIM card prices at the airport in KL are normal price so just get one when you land

Reply to: Cell phone plans in bali
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted