We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Earthquake n Tsunami warning

Coimbatore, India
1 post
Save Topic
Earthquake n Tsunami warning

Hi ,

I just booked my trip to Bali on aug 23 for 5 days . I am recently hearing earthquakes happened a week before n another one happened today.is it safe to still plan on for the trip? Please let me know Ur suggestions.

11 replies to this topic
Perth
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

I'm here now and staying unless a wave takes me away.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,584 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

I don’t know that anyone can predict what the situation will be tomorrow let alone in late August. You really have to decide whether you’re comfortable with your plans or not. I’ll be travelling to Bali in a week’s time and am just ensuring I register my travel plans with our Department of Foreign Affairs, ensure my family know where I’m staying and have an emergency budget for any departure delays.

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

I'm in Bali right now, and although the earthquake felt big to me, the Japanese tourists and the Balinese people have been great at keeping everyone calm, especially when it happened. Now, it's like it never happened, the streets are full of people out and about and enjoying themselves. Definitely come over, you'll be well looked after!

Perth
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

I wouldn't say all the locals were calm.

I was having a massage and my massuase bolted out onto the street even before I realised what was happening.

She must have sensed it was coming.

She yelled from outside get out of building now!

Edited: 05 August 2018, 21:19
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,294 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

I wonder why people ask about earthquakes and Volcanoes all the time.

Nobody in the entire world can tell you.

If so then a lot less People would die and all those People stranded climbing last week in Lombok wouldn't have gone climbing in the first place.... but of course they didn't know because they weren't allowed to take their crystal balls, tarot card or runes with them.

Indonesia has been in the Ring of Fire since forever but it seems to be lost on people. I blame social media. Nobody ever asked any questions ever if Mt Agung would erupt or if an earthquake would occur believing that nothing has ever happened before 2017 but will now happen every 5minutes forever and that it is somehow predictable.

If you are afraid of the unpredictable then you'll never do anything or go anywhere.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

Well said Piggy and what a way to go Balirunner, while have a massage. 🤣😂🤣

The only problem l have for my trip in October, is getting into Bali, once lm there l couldn’t care too hoots of whatever nature decides to throw at me. What a place to be stranded.

Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

You may not care two hoots but many would particularly locals. Diminishing other people's concerns is unfair. they are real and relevant.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,746 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

I’m here now in kuta and it all seems back to normal this morning.we were in a restaurant and everyone just ran out onto the road. Then everyone went back and finished meals and drinks. We have cancelled our Gili T stay but other than that we are just enjoying beautiful Bali.

No one can tell or advise anyone what to do but I’m pleased I am here.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 05:41
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
4,999 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

According to local reports, the earthquake last week was not the big one, but the one yesterday was the main one. That should mean any further ones would theoretically be just aftershocks of a lower magnitude.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Earthquake n Tsunami warning

Wouldn't say it was my most relaxing massage, Janet.

After running out onto Sanur's main road in my jocks we got back into massage.

But then with an aftershock soon after the stressed out massuase called off the massage as she couldn't handle being indoors anymore.

Also, only realised how many people are in Sanur after seeing them all out on the road. It was an eerie feeling seeing so many people piled onto Jl Tamblingan and not a moving vehicle in site.

I've never seen Jl Tamblingan vehicless, not even at 3 am.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 06:02
Reply to: Earthquake n Tsunami warning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted