We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have the wrong impression, Seminyak VS Kuta

10 posts
Do I have the wrong impression, Seminyak VS Kuta

So I'm torn between the pool access room at the courtyard in Seminyak or the tent villa at the Dynasty in Kuta or suite in the sheraton Kuta. Don't mind being in the action, seems like all those choices are. But having never been to bali from what I've read Seminyak is more nice restaurants and less local bars. Maybe more of an international flare on the food and bar spectrum? What we want is more of an authentic experience, small little hole in the wall type places to grab local food and drinks. Like the grandma grandpa cooking in the back waiting for ever because it's just them type of places. Kuta seems to maybe be the better choice for this????

Also, any feedback on those hotels would be awesome.....so hard traveling somewhere you've neber been and making decisions.

3 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,328 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: Do I have the wrong impression, Seminyak VS Kuta

Hi Chris,

Seminyak is just part of the large tourist sprawl of Kuta/Legian/Seminyak.

Each area merges into the other by crossing the road. No difference. One side of Jalan Double Six is classed as Legian other side Seminyak.

You can be in Seminyak and be closer to the Sky Garden Night club in Kuta than Seminyak square.

No area really has "authentic" experience. Seminyak probably the most unauthentic "plastic" tourist area. Seminyak sees itself as upmarket, as its fair share of boutique shopping, hotels and pretentious restaurants and beach clubs.

Poppies lanes 1 & 2 in Kuta offer variety of cheap eats places offer mixture of Western/Indonesian food. Still aimed at tourists but laid back. Well like Swell 73 surf bar on Poppies 1. Also Treehouse (close to beach end).

Long way down Poppies 2 we like Tubes.

On the beachfront in Kuta near the Bali Turtle society you'll find cheap "esky" bars (cooler boxes abd plastic seats) and some vheap Warungs to eat.

We normally stay at the Discovery Kratika plaza and always walk down to Poppies to eat or get snack on the beach Warungs.

There is a beach front path in front of Dynasty past Discovery all the way down the beach to Bali Turtle society. Comes out on main road near Hard Rock not far from Poppies. Avoids all the traffic.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,532 posts
879 reviews
2. Re: Do I have the wrong impression, Seminyak VS Kuta

Agree with NotaPigsty, Kuta, Legian and Seminyak to me are pretty much the same as they basically blend into one another. And these are all the most commercialized places in Bali which are not authentic with grandma's home cooking down back streets. But again, as mentioned above, Poppies Lane I might be an alternative in Kuta or look further away from the Kuta/Legian/Seminyak areas.

You can get cheap local food and street food everywhere though, in food courts in department stores and small alleys in Kuta/Legian/Seminyak and everywhere else allover Bali. Please read up on Sanur too as it might be an alternative to Seminyal/Kuta.

I've stayed in pool access rooms at the Courtyard Marriott many times and always enjoyed it. I am not so fond of the pool because it's one of those long narrow pools/gardens surrounded on all sides by the hotel. However, the breakfast is amazing, and the food at the restaurant "Seminyak Kitchen" is also excellent. Also you can get complimentary golf cart rides to the nearby beach. Sorry but I haven;t stayed at the Dynasty.

Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
3. Re: Do I have the wrong impression, Seminyak VS Kuta

Hi Chris, I would choose the Courtyard over The Dynasty any day. Seminyak doesn't see itself as upmarket. It is upmarket:)

But it is not all pretentious and plastic, it does indeed have great restaurants with food that is world class and they can cost from $20.00 to $100.00 for a meal.

It also has fantastic small local restaurants and warungs withnfood from less than $2.00 so there is budget for everyone .

You can find small hole in the wall local warungs all over Bali somyou won't have a problem no matter what area you choose.

Reply to: Do I have the wrong impression, Seminyak VS Kuta
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted