We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

6 posts
Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

Hi there,

My partner and I plan on travelling to Bali around New Years eve. I'm wondering what the best method (as a women) is to carry my cash and phone with me when drinking and in nightclubs? What is the safest but most practical way to do so? I've seen some anti-theft mini bags that cross over my shoulders or the classic fanny packs..

13 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,959 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

General advice is to wear your handbag across your body.

There is no real viloent crime in Bali. Most ncidence are of snatching by scooter riders.

Most incidences are when tourists stand at the side of the road looking at phone/taking selfies and somebody comes past on a scooter.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

As Pigsty says & only take the cash that you need for the night

Cheers Mac 😎😎

melbourne
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

Yep, just a small cross body bag will be fine. Wear it on the side away from the road if you're walking along a road.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
35 reviews
4. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

News Years Eve in Bali is crazy night out, mostly at the beach areas. No crime in Bali ! What absolute nonsense, you just need to look on Youtube, “ The Darkside Of Bali “ will sure tell you all. There are a few good documentaries on YouTube to look at. A lot of the crime is just never published and kept very quiet, but we all know it’s there.

If you are planning to be in Kuta, l would say, put your cash in your pocket and leave your phone and bag at your hotel. Should you be in Ubud, take your bag along, but don’t put it down somewhere unattended.

Have a safe trip.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
855 reviews
5. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

Totally agree with all the above comments, bring along cash just for that evening.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
65 reviews
6. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

During the day I use an over the body small bag. Of a night I carry a small purse and my phone in my bra. (One in each cup). God help anyone who tries to take them from there 😉

7. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 10 August 2018, 14:16

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
323 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

When I was in Bali last October I saw a lot of Asian tourist, especially men carrying their small back packs on the front of their body. At first I was thinking it looked quite odd. Then thought they must be doing it to protect themselves from snatchers. Made sense then.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,371 posts
177 reviews
9. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

You haven’t indicated your nationality, Michelle, so I don’t know what’s available locally in your country. I mention that because I have a lightweight cotton money belt with 2 zip compartments which is designed to wear under your clothes just below your waist. I put whatever money I think i’ll need in one section and my phone in the other. Safe as houses, comfortable and easy to access when you want to get one or the other. The brand name here in Australia is Korjo.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 18:58
6 posts
10. Re: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out

Hi there, we plan on spending NYE on Gili T. How’s that for crime in comparison to the other places?

Reply to: Safest method for carrying cash/phone on a night out
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted