We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grab Bali - Car and Bike

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
Grab Bali – Car and Bike

This is my first experience with the Grab Taxi service.

I caught a Grab Car from Lotte Mart (Bypass Rd, Sanur) to villa near Griya Santrian (Sanur).

Cost 37K.

Bluebird charged me 57k to get to Lotte Mart from villa in Sanur.

I also caught a ride on the back of a motorbike – good for short distances – from the southern end of Sanur to the northern end (Jl Tamblingan).

Cost 8k.

Both times the driver/rider arrived within two minutes.

All in all a very successful experience.

Guide for first timers, like myself:

Downloaded the app.

I registered: email address, you can enter your home mobile number if you do not have a local number. However, drivers will only be able to contact you, if required, via SMS (text). All messages are sent via the App, anyway. They are also translated to and from the driver if they don’t speak English.

Grab will send a verification code to your email address or phone number.

Set up profile. You can add credit card details here, but I chose to pay in cash. The other option is a cash card (OVO), which you need to buy and preload cash. I prefer the real thing: cash is king in Bali and I like the idea of paying after my ride is complete.

Getting a ride: works much like Uber. Map of your area is displayed with available vehicles. Type in pickup point. Then type in drop off area. You do not have to be totally accurate on addresses as long as you have a business name, or address, the app will find it for you and display a list of likely places. Choose one.

The centre of the screen will show a vehicle and an estimated pickup time, you may see a car or bike depending on your last ride. For example, my last ride was on a bike: picture of motorbike, Grab Bike (name of service) 5 min (wait time).

Click on that and you will see all the options as below including price (select one)

Plus:

GrabCar Plus (Only 5 star rated Drivers, usually late model, unmarked vehicle)

Economy:

Grab Car (1-4 seats, sedan or small APV [SUV])

Grab Bike (Clearly identified with Grab markings, logo)

Grab Car (1-6 seats, APV [SUV])

Grab Taxi (Similar to Bluebird identified with Grab marking, logo [however, I would not use this in touristy areas as other Taxi drivers and some hotels dislike Grab. Therefore, discretion is preferred for the time being: also set pick up point outside hotel for example, not hotel lobby]).

Choose one option: varying prices quoted (will give a sample at end of post).

Click on options if you want to send a note to driver: ie: I’m a white skinned male wearing a large cowboy hat. Then Press confirm! Otherwise, next step:

Press book.

Within a few seconds a driver will confirm pickup via text on the app. You can text back OK or other info required such as where you are waiting at shop?

Reply in front of BNI ATM near entrance, or whatever.

I found the drivers do not take long to arrive, the estimated wait time is generally very conservative (on the long side).

After the ride you can rate driver.

You will also have a receipt sent to you via email.

It’s easy!

Sample of quoted price:

Pickup point: Sanur Jl Tamblingan

Destination: Denpasar International Airport Departures

Grab Car Plus: 91k

Grab Car: 76k (My preferred option)

Grab Bike: 34k

Grab Car: 91k (Second preferred option if lots of luggage)

Grab Taxi: 107k

* Prices quoted can vary slightly.

14 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,845 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

Used them a couple of times a short while ago but found they had hardly any english, sometimes none at all. This caused quite a bit of concern a couple of times - especially when we needed the car to stop for someone to be sick. The saving wasn't really worth the hassle.

australia
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
2. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

This is probably an outrageous thought but pop into the street and hail a metered taxi. It's sooo convenient.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

Why I support Grab is I"m over all these taxis - especially the dodgy ones - doing cicuits of Sanur's busiest street.

Adding to air pollution and noise pollution by tooting at every tourist.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 19:06
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

Excellent information Balirunner. Thanks.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
5. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

You are very welcome Hamish.

I'm glad someone appreciates the info.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
833 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

Extremely helpful Balirunner! Thank you for sharing!

I downloaded the app too to check out some prices, but I don’t seem to be offered any estimated wait times prior to clicking ‘Book’. Though I can see that there are available cars around the area.

I’m wondering if that’s an iOS vs Android thing? Did you download your app from the Google or the Apple store?

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
7. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

Google store.

Are you currently in Bali?

The reason I ask is I downloaded the app in Australia, but it didn't work for me until I was in Bali.

Orange County...
Level Contributor
833 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

That could be the difference. Mine is from the Apple store. I’m not in Bali, but I can still see available cars in Bali if I set my pickup location to be in Bali.

I wonder if wait times will also appear if I was in Bali?? Guess time will tell.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

They should do.

Very short wait times anyway.

I minute and 2 minutes was my two rides.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: Grab Bali – Car and Bike

My Grab experience has been excellent thus far.

Sanur to Denpasar this morning: 51k,

Denpasar to Sanur return: 44k.

I chose the Grab car option.

Both times clean late model SUV's (APV).

Last time the same trip cost me 77k with Bluebird.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 11:30
Reply to: Grab Bali – Car and Bike
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted