We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

New York
14 posts
Save Topic
Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

We had a great driver in the first 3 day, then 2 different drivers for the rest of the trip

First driver speak good English, on time, walk with us in the temple, swing etc, answer question about the sight, culture etc

Proactively Take picture for us, has wifi in the car, carry umbrella for us and even negotiate for us at the souvenir shop

Other driver are relatively quiet, always drop us off at the parking , we are in our own to see the sights and meet him at parking when we are done. Therefore, no chance to explain the sights, take picture etc

What is your private driver like? Am I expecting too much because we had a good driver first? What is th norm?

10 replies to this topic
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,863 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

If your driver gives you all those additional extras, then that's great, but you are engaging a driver, not a driver and tour guide and so your other drivers were doing what you paid them for...in my opinion.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

Also, some people (me) dont want a driver shadowing us.

We usually leave driver in car park, he does his own thing (usually has a nap or chats with other drivers) and we do our thing.

He is also looking after our belongings in the car, which is an added bonus.

He gives us good advice when required.

perth
Level Contributor
235 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

Your second driver sounds more like experiences we’ve had. I’ve never had a driver come into temples etc with us, they usually wait in the car park, have a rest and something to eat etc. there’s usually loads of drivers all hanging out.

As above always helpful with info when asked and happy to chat about their life/family etc but otherwise happy to be unobtrusive.

You can hire guides at most temples/attractions if you want explanations.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 13:48
melbourne
Level Contributor
5,014 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

We also don't really like drivers to come with us to sights, meals etc. That's just us. We're happy to just be driven by a polite person who will answer our questions and have a chat if it occurs.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,244 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

Personally we prefer drivers who just drop us off and wait by the car and who don't talk too much. We also really dislike drivers who keep asking questions or playing music or try to tell us about places. Quiet and friendly and polite is how we like it.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,164 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

My thoughts: If it's an actual attraction where you are paying a ticket or there are signs about tourism, then even tourist licensed drivers are not legally allowed to show you around inside. Only licensed GUIDES can take you around legally..there are often stories in the local paper of people detained by police for guiding without the specific license. Also, about wifi, not everyone needs it,as so many opt to get the phone sim that is often better than wifi on trips. Also, I never let drivers or guides accompany me to do any kind of shopping or purchasing, unless you really are sure about their expertise eg..they are actually an interior decorator for instance. This is because there is often some kind of point system or even commission involved.

Not sure what you mean about no chance to take a picture...

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

When I’m travelling solo I don’t mind a chatty driver. You can learn a lot when you’ve got your ears open. Ask about their life, their culture, practice your language skills, talk about local food.... The drivers might learn something from us too.

The best driver I’ve had in Bali was a young guy who said he had a degree in English literature, we had a great conversation from Ubud to Kuta, he loves driving because he can talk to foreigners to improve his English and learn about other cultures. I’m fortunate enough to be able to travel to learn, and he was just happy to learn from tourists. I was the winner in that conversation.

The only bad driver is one who wants to take you shopping.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

There seems to be no win, win for drivers, either they talk too much and ask too many questions, but in this case, his not talking enough ! When are humans ever going to be happy, never l guess. 🤣😂

I have my regular driver in Ubud who is extremely knowledgeable, speaks impeccable English and is most entertaining to have around. However, should l feel like total quiet, l pick up a casual driver on the roadside for short distances.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

Lol at Janet.

Drivers probably say the same things about us Tourists, either too much of this ... or not enough of that ...

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?

🤣😂. We after all, “ tourists “ are the cash cow of Bali..... so l think they are inclined to turn the other way.

Reply to: Private driver, what is the normal expectation ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted