We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to Bali

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
First timers to Bali

My wife and i are planning to visit the country for the first time next year for a family wedding, any advice that people have would be much appreciated, the wedding is in the Kuta area at the Bali Garden Beach Resort Hotel, any info regarding hotels, currency exchange, places to visit, places to eat/drink, getting to a hotel from the airport in fact anything to help us newbies would be great.

Many thanks in anticipation

Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Bali Garden Beach Resort
Bali Garden Beach Resort
1,764 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
4 replies to this topic
australia
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers to Bali

Hi Ian, firstly you've posted your question twice. Remove one. My advice is to read the pinned posts at the top of this forum to understand what Bali has to offer. We don't know you, your likes, dislikes etc. I don't know if you're staying at the Bali Garden Beach Resort or you're wanting another hotel. If so, we need to know your budget and whether you're happy to be in Kuta. Suggest you do a lot of homework yourself and when you have an 'itinerary' TA members are happy to help with informed answers to any specific questions. Cheers.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 07:46
Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bali Garden Beach Resort
Bali Garden Beach Resort
1,764 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
8,731 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers to Bali

Firstly, you posted your question twice, so I applied to have to have the other post removed to avoid confusion.

This forum is a wealth of information, please take time to read it. Start with the first 2 pinned posts, then read the travel guides, and things to do. Then start reading back through the forum. Every question you have asked is answered regularly here.

Once you have decided which area/areas to stay before or after the wedding, do let us know. As you say are planning to visit the country, please also let us know if you have plans for other areas of Indonesia besides Bali.

When planning things to do and see in Bali, do be aware that staying in areas suitable can save you hours in a car as travel times are very slow.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
PERTH
Level Contributor
1,485 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers to Bali

If the wedding is at Bali Garden I would suggest you use the Hotel and stay there. it is on the beach and is close to most shopping. I do know the Hotel has lots of weddings and people I have spoken to have returned great reports. The Hotel itself is spacious and has a big pool with a bar or you can drink at the bar which overlooks the beach. I have stayed there and staff are very friendly and go above and beyond to make your stay great.

The manager is Australian so they know how to look after western tourists.

Mentioned in this post
Bali Garden Beach Resort
Bali Garden Beach Resort
1,764 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Munich, Bali
Level Contributor
14,253 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers to Bali

Hi Ian,

Need exact info on your planned Bali itinerary (how many days in total, how the wedding fits in, days either side etc.)

I would advise you to think twice about using a UK travel agent.

If you are intending to spend more than a week in Bali I suggest you thing about splitting between a couple of places.

Once people know your exact itinerary then people can better advise. Especially for Private Drivers/Tours.

GETTING FROM AIRPORT

If just going to Kuta BG Beach Resort or closeby you could ask your Hotel for a quote for pickup.

It only costs IDR50k in a Bluebitd taxi but they're not alloed to operate at Arrivals. You could go up to Departures and flag one down.

The Official Taxi cooperative who are the only company to operate at arrivals has hiked their prices recently.

NEAR BGBR

we always stay at the Discovery Kartika Plaza the other side of the Discovery Mall from BG Beach Resort.

We always use the www.centralkutabali.com money changer which is down near the Dynasty (on main road heading south).

We don't like to eat in the immediate area of Discovery Mall. Lots of Aussie Sports bars/eateries/restaurants. Have heard good things from people just eating casually at the BG beach front restaurant. We walk along the beach walkway past the BG until it ends and head further North and go down Poppies lanes 1&2. More casual laid back places to eat. We like Tubes on Poppies 2. Bit of a walk down but seafood kebab at £5 is good as is the Apple Crumble.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Discovery Kartika Plaza Hotel
Discovery Kartika Plaza...
2,458 Reviews
Kuta, Indonesia
Reply to: First timers to Bali