We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
95 reviews
9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

I am making a connection at Denpasar landing from Brisbane at 10:40 am and departing for Jakarta at 8:15 pm. This is my first Indonesian experience and I have no idea how much time to allow for Customs on arrival or when I need to be back at airport for my domestic flight to CGK during the height of tourist season.

I am more interested in temples and scenery than hanging out at a beach. Any suggestions on how I could maximize this window of opportunity?

9 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,295 posts
95 reviews
1. Re: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

Are your bags checked through to Jakarta or will you need to pickup bags and take them with you.

Allow at least 1hr to get through immigration and pick up bags. Either or really. It is generally the bags that take the longest but can be busy.

Again depends on what you are doing bagwise/checkin for your domestic flight.

DPS isn't in Denpasar. It is only 1mile from Tuban (start of main tourist area). The traffic around Tuban/southern resorts area and Denpasar itself is horrendous so you'll waste time getting out of the area in the first place and depending on where you go determine whether you will getting angst on the way back (especially from Ubud/Eastern side).

Bear in mind for instance that Ubud is only 25miles from the Airport but usually takes 1h30. So 3hrs gone getting there and back.

I think you'd be safe with Beji Guwang "Hidden Canyon" and Tegenungan Waterfall perhaps go to Sanur and get a bite to eat on the seafront.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
39 reviews
2. Re: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

I would definitely organize a driver beforehand who would be waiting for you on arrival, drive to Sanur as Suggested by Piggy, great idea, you don’t want to get yourself too far from the airport in peak season. You will more than likely have your luggage with you as it mostly goes all the way through on international flights and you will be doing a domestic to Jakarta.

Your driver can then drop you off at the domestic airport after lunch, with enough time for check in, 1.5 hrs usually.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

Your flight will be on the day after Indonesian Independence day which is August 17. Being a weekend there will likely be a lot of domestic tourists as well, taking advantage of the holiday, so traffic will be very high.

If your domestic flight is on Garuda they are often pretty good about rescheduling you if you miss a flight..but most other airlines probably won't or can't.

Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

I am flying into Denpasar on Virgin Australia and up Jakarta on Garuda. Since it is all one ticket and the two are partner airlines I have been given indication that my bags are being shipped all the way through.

I appreciate the feedback as this is a corner of the globe where I have no experience. All your suggestions are being considered as I lay out my plans. Based on the above posts, it sounds like barring a late arrival, I should be exiting the airport around 12 noon. It also sounds like I should be at the domestic terminal by around 6:30 pm. That leaves a rather healthy 6.5 hours for me to use however it would be best. Keeping in mind that I have no future plans for Indonesia likely in my future, is it crazy talk for me to hire a driver and head to one of the higher profile sites like Ubud? Even if it took two hours each way, I am still looking at two hours and change once I arrive for Sacred Monkey Sanctuary and Goa Gajah. Or if I went the temple route with Taman Ayun and Tanah Lot it seems like by logistics it should work? Am I nuts?

And finally, have the earthquakes had impact on tourism? I would suspect that there have been a great deal of cancellations based on fears.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
954 posts
138 reviews
5. Re: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

You MUST collect your bags in DPS and proceed through customs. People often get confused as there is a different system in CGK.

Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
95 reviews
6. Re: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

Ah, that is significant news. I'm wonder how soon they will let you check bags at the domestic terminal. It would be great if I could drop my large bag there and then head out on the island.

As a result it sounds like a driver is the best option for whatever I try. I have friends who are pushing me to just rent a moped on Grab or Go-Jek if I don't have luggage. If I am going to be limited to close by the airport as most seem to suggest, would this make sense?

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta Region
Level Contributor
12,555 posts
129 reviews
7. Re: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

A driver will almost always be your better bet, esp since you don't know the island and have a very small window to see anything. Car and driver means you can just take your luggage with you rather than trying to worry about storing bags and getting them out again.

For your short window, I would skip the Monkey Forest, the downtown Ubud area is too congested when you are on a tight schedule, and on a holiday weekend to boot.

Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
44 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

Thanks. Now I am trying to locate a driver at the last minute. If I can't get someone lined up before arrival at DPS, how would I find one to hire? Grab a taxi and negotiate?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
422 posts
116 reviews
9. Re: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th

Try the thread below for a list of recommended drivers, hire one for the day and negotiate a price before you arrive. Otherwise, you can negotiate with one of the many drivers who wait outside at arrivals.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g294226…

Reply to: 9+ Hour Connection in Denpasar on Saturday, August 18th
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted