We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

I thought I read that you can get in trouble in bali if you get stopped and dont have passport on you. Now I cant find it. All travels I've done in the world, I put it in safe at each hotel, not wanting to lose it or have it stolen.

What has your experience been in the last year?

13 replies to this topic
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
89 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

Hi Colleen, I've never been stopped and asked to produce my passport in many trips to Bali. On our first trip there, I carried them with us everytime we left the hotel just in case we were asked for them, we never were. Since then we just leave them in the safe. If you're concerned about it you could always photocopy it and carry that with you. Enjoy your trip.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

Keep it in the safe. You can take a photo of your passport details on your phone and email a copy to yourself. This way you can’t lose your details even if you lose your phone.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
8,937 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

I keep a photocopy of passport with me, use it for changing money, checking into hotels etc, original kept in the safe at all times.

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

Yep take a photo copy and keep it on you if you think you need it, and keep your passport locked away. Personally I haven't been asked in years for my passport on the streets or when shopping. The only one I know of now days is if you buy a phone card and have to register it.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

After 23 trips I have never been asked to produce my passport

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

Under no circumstances would l keep my passport with me, should the hotel not have a safe in the room, which a lot don’t, l would hide it in my luggage. There have been far too many stories of bags being stolen or lost and especially the beach areas with bag snatching.

The inconvenience of losing a passport is enormous, l wouldn’t want to experience that.

Canberra
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

I wear a money belt containing cash, passport and credit cards in Bali.

Money exchangers and motorcycle hire places ask to see my passport when exchanging money or hiring motorcycles respectively.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,693 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

Always leave in Hotel safe or as 'Janet' lock it in my suitcase.

Only needed it for getting a Sim card and exchanging money at Authorised money Changers (don't ride a scooter).

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

I would recommend to keep passport safely locked.

While moving around keeping a physical photocopy could be useful.

A scanned digital copy on email, google drive/one drive, whatsapp is a must in my opinion.

You will be asked for passport rarely (atleast in Bali), copy or number should be enough to start with.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe

I keep a laminated copy with me just in case you need it to change money

Cheers Mac 😎😎

Reply to: Carry passport or leave in hotel safe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted