We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali, Indonesia

San Diego...
4 posts
Bali, Indonesia

Hello everyone, I'm planning on going to Bali in late September for 2 weeks and as many I'm having trouble deciding what area to stay in. I've done plenty of research but debating between Ubud and South Bali. .. if anyone could make some suggestions I'd greatly appreciated it. Here's a little info. on what I'm looking for. I'm traveling alone (female) want a villa with pool either very near or part of the villa. What I like about Ubud is the jungle feel, surrounded by trees and so on and seclusion BUT I'm a beach girl, I love the beach and when I think of a vacation I think of a beach. I don't like the fact that Ubud is 2hrs away ( or so I've read) from South Bali. I've been trying to find a villa with at least an ocean view with pool in a villa. Not really looking for a party scene. I want to discover the markets, culture, food, beaches, and temples that Bali has to offer and of course since I'm traveling alone I do want security. Thank you in advance for any suggestions. Happy summer everyone!

9 replies to this topic
coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
9,486 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Bali, Indonesia

With 2 weeks, split your stay into 2 areas, that's what most of us do. And as a solo traveller, are you sure you want to be in a villa alone? Rather than a hotel where you'll get to meet others?

gold coast
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Bali, Indonesia

Great input from CB. Definitely split your time between Ubud and say Bingin(amazing views, the trade off is a lot of stairs to the beach. See Micks Place for a small boutique feel. Or Nusa Lembongan which also has great views and amazing accomodation. Have fun researching and a wonderful time in Bali

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,507 posts
869 reviews
3. Re: Bali, Indonesia

Have you looked at hotels and villas in Sanur? Many are right on the beach.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,306 posts
95 reviews
4. Re: Bali, Indonesia

With 2 weeks could even do 3 places (we did 4 this year in 2 weeks but last night was just for convenience to the Airport).

Much depends on your interests. Certain sights/activities are best done from certain areas.

e.g. I dive and the wife likes to snorkel so we spend the bulk of our Bali time in those areas

UBUD - "an island' - "southern resort' is a popular combo

ALL fastboat companies will include some sort of free pickup from Ubud (sometime direct hotel, sometime central point) and free dropoff on return to all major 'southern resort' hotels.

So no need to worry about transfers/transport.

BEACHES

Bali isn't famed for its beaches. You won't find anything like Mission Beach (I used to go there a lot in the late 80's early 90's when had friends who lived near San Diego State then another 10years before I returned again with kids) so have to think what you want from a beach.

UBUD

You may think about "jungle feel' now or 'seclusion' but you really need to think what you want from your holiday. Meeting people, easy access to eateries, markets or even a local minimart.

Ubud is as much a Region as a town centre. Some properties can easily be 5miles or more from Ubud centre with Little to nothing outside of them.

Some properties take the pi$$ calling themselves Ubud when they are over 12miles away and not even in Ubud district.. Very misleading.

Some properties have shuttle Services but These often stop at 5/6pm.

There are no Taxis in Ubud so to get back,outside of shuttle times, you would Need to contact the Hotel or engage a local Driver.

PRIVATE DRIVER

You can hire a private Driver for IDR600k ~ $45 for the day (9am to 6/7pm ish). That is for the whole van privately to yourself NOT per Person. You can set your own daily itinerary if you wish. Stop where you want, when you want, eat where and when you want. No fixed "time" itinerary.

Drivers often have itinerary suggestions.

People also use private Drivers for Transfers between destinations.

You should be Aware that traffic can be slow going around Bali. Even on longer distances you won't average much more than 20mph so take this into account when planning.

e.g. we Transfer to Amed on landing. It is not even 60miles but invariably takes 3hrs.

DPS to Ubud is only 25miles but usually take 1h30 during the day.

Please avoid like the plague Online Booking/tour agencies with Gimmicks like "lunch and entrance fees included" - it is a tourist scam/ripoff. I've seen These People charging $49 PER PERSON!!!! You can get nice local Food mains for $6. Entrance fees to places like Monkey forest/temples/Waterfall are a couple of $ or free.

These organised tours are very fixed itinerary (timewise) and they take you to places they get commission.

Also avoid anything which says 'minimum 2 PAX' or group tours.

You will be perfectly safe as a single female.

Of course if you stay somewhere with a bit of life you might meet some people who may want to share a van for the day.

In Ubud there is www.ubudtaxi.com They are a Group of local Ubud Drivers who offer tours and Transfers.

SOLO TRAVEL

You meet solo travelers everywhere whether in Ubud or in the hectic tourist sprawl of Kuta, Legian, Seminyak.

I've met and gone diving with solo female travelers from the USA in Amed.

Bali is generally safe. There is little to no violent crime. Been some handbag/mobile phone snatching around the Canggu/Seminyak/Legian/Kuta and Sanur area (main tourist resorts area) but that is as bad as it generally gets.

Worst thing is the dodgy money changers skimming and the holes in the pavements.

New York
Level Contributor
33 posts
5. Re: Bali, Indonesia

Do you have suggestions on which private drivers to use or how to hire them ahead?

San Diego...
4 posts
6. Re: Bali, Indonesia

WOW! Thank you so much for taking out the time to reply. You answered all of my questions! Thank you :)

San Diego...
4 posts
7. Re: Bali, Indonesia

Thank you so much!

Australia
Level Contributor
140 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Bali, Indonesia

Hi there, what about a few nights Komaneka Keramas? They have gorgeous ocean front pool villas. I haven't stayed there yet but have booked for a future stay.

For your jungle view pool villa I would recommend looking at The Natya, The Kayon, Komaneka Bisma or Komaneka Tanggayuda. Bisma is in town and close to restaurants and things to do etc. The others require a shuttle bus or taxi.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,306 posts
95 reviews
9. Re: Bali, Indonesia

Hi Colleen,

If you want detailed information I suggest you start your own post/topic.

Your exact overall Bali itinerary is important. People need to know exactly where you are staying and exactly what you are interested in doing/seeing.

Then they can recommend drivers in the area you are staying.

In the main tourist areas of Seminyak/Legian/Kuta and Sanur and Ubud you will get offered transport all the time on the street but if you want a recommendation people need to know where you are staying.

Around Ubud then www.ubudtaxi.com and www.ubudareatours.com

When we were in Ubud in May we just found a driver on the street outside of our hotel and just booked him fo rthe following day for a transfer to Kuta.

One year down in Kuta I was walking back to our hotel and a guy was dropping his wife off at one of the market stalls. Had a chat and booked him for a trip to Ubud.

But for instance we spend a lot of time on the Norht East/North Coast so drivers from down south are useless.

Most important thing to know is PRIVATE DRIVER

You can hire a private Driver for IDR600k ~ $45 ~ 40euros ~ SKR366 for the day (9am to 6/7pm ish). That is for the whole van PRIVATELY to yourself not per Person and not shared. You can set your own daily itinerary if you wish. Stop where you want, when you want, eat where and when you want. No fixed "time" itinerary.

Drivers often have itinerary suggestions.

People also use private Drivers for Transfers between destinations.

You should be Aware that traffic can be slow going around Bali. Even on longer distances you won't average much more than 20mph so take this into account when planning.

e.g. we Transfer to Amed on landing. It is not even 60miles but invariably takes 3hrs.

DPS to Ubud is only 25miles but usually take 1h30 during the day.

Please avoid Online Booking/tour agencies with Gimmicks like "lunch and entrance fees included". I've seen These People charging $49 PER PERSON!!!!

Reply to: Bali, Indonesia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted