We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATMs - the good and the bad

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
ATMs - the good and the bad

Not sure if this will work, but I'd like to start a post where people put in details of both the compromised ATMs and also the good ones where you haven't had any problems (as much as that is possible)?

Don't howl me down but I hate taking large amounts of cash and the hassle of money changes so I use cards and it would be really handy to know which ones I might be able to use (I am aware that an ATM might be fine today and dodgy tomorrow).

If you could, can you say where it is (street, location etc), it's brand and whether it's good or bad?

Thanks

14 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,698 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

Hi Mel,

might be difficult to keep track. I know I've used one on Jalan Monkey Forest in the past but I believe one on JMF was compromised this year. Surprised as it was in a Glass box/public.

I have done cash only for the last 2 years.

But we used to always use the ones in the Glass box on the steps of the Discovery Shopping Mall for a good 10years without issues. Used the ones inside the Mall as well.

Legian, Indonesia
Level Contributor
596 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

Hi Mel – For Kuta/ Legian

BCA Bank Jl. Raya Kuta No.34X,

8 cameras in the room, Air conditioned, an armed security guard, 4 machines that take deposits, withdraws and transfers.

Busy with locals and local business people, they are in a bank not attached.

Very comfortable there, never a problem, walking distance from Bemo corner.

australia
Level Contributor
442 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

Hi Mel,

Excellent idea. If in Sanur there is an ATM inside the Prama Hotel Foyer, next to the entrance to a branch of a bank with a security guard.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
791 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

This is really handy to know! Thanks for the tips.

PERTH
Level Contributor
1,523 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

Andrew, the ATM your have described is possibly the only one in Bali I have previously used and would only use. They are great and I even went inside to count my money and they gave me a stool to sit on.

Legian, Indonesia
Level Contributor
596 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

Hi Kristofferson

Not that it matters but possibly a different branch; the one I intended is on the corner of JL.Raya Kuta and JL. Bakung Sari, it has 4 X BCA ATM’s all inside.

There are quite a few branches around and many ATMs

Very popular with the locals for banking and transfers.

Regards

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

I use the PermataBank on the main road, Ubud, opposite the Palace. It’s a great ATM, always has tons of money and security. It’s attached to the Bank which is situated back from the road.

I have used many ATM’S in Ubud over the years, it was always a problem as a lot didn’t have money in the machines which meant l was always anxious and required to check my bank activity regularly Incase the machines had taken money out of my account without giving me any. Since the PermataBank opened l haven’t used any other machine.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

Thanks Janet I know which one you mean - I'll try it out when I'm there.

I've seen quite a few posts about both the ATMs in Nusa Lembongan having issues so if you're going there, maybe get enough money out beforehand at the Permata Bank branch ATM (near Maya) in Sanur to last you for the time you're there. Note that that branch is only open during the week.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,376 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

Janet, there's another thread on here with someone using a British card at a Permata bank and being charged an extra RP49,999 on their transaction - did you get notice that when you withdrew money?

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ATMs - the good and the bad

Mel. You are from Australia. There are 2 well known banks in Australia, Commonwealth Bank and ANZ Bank.

My Commonwealth Bank Card issued in Indonesia has relation with BCA Bank, so when I withdrew with my Commonwealth Bank Card through ATM BCA, there are no withdrawal fee.

Please see what logos do you have in your card.

Reply to: ATMs - the good and the bad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted