We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI to everyone- DO NOT carry on you tripods here

Level Contributor
32 posts
28 reviews
FYI to everyone- DO NOT carry on you tripods here

They made us check it as they called it a weapon. They couldn’t pull bag so it was checked as is(tripod bag) and bag ended up with broken zipper and holes and some thugs broken. Hope others with camera equipment will note this as there are no signs and it is very different than US rules. We are not professional photographers - this was a small 3 lb Tripod.

6 replies to this topic
Perth
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: FYI to everyone- DO NOT carry on you tripods here

Pls clarify your post.

Are you saying this happened when you checked in at Bali Airport.

In other words, flying out of Bali.

Edited: 24 May 2018, 06:45
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
69 reviews
2. Re: FYI to everyone- DO NOT carry on you tripods here

Which airline were you flying with?

australia
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
3. Re: FYI to everyone- DO NOT carry on you tripods here

My goodness, Katherine, please clarify your post as I can't make sense of it.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4. Re: FYI to everyone- DO NOT carry on you tripods here

This just happened to us as well. They stopped us from going through because of a small tripod. No signs anywhere on this. We are flying out of Bali to US w layover in Korea.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
206 reviews
5. Re: FYI to everyone- DO NOT carry on you tripods here

HI,

I was flying to Jakarta from Bali on Thursday and the people in front of me also had a small tripod going through security, they were also told they couldn’t take it onboard. As it was a weapon.

Previously on a trip from Jakarta to Bali I had Ikea door handles that were vacuum packed in rigid plastic refused as they were also weapons - If only I’d remembered to pack the scissors... 🤨

Cheers

Manhattan Beach...
1 post
6. Re: FYI to everyone- DO NOT carry on you tripods here

This happened to me also flying out of Bali (DPS) in Aug 2018. It does not matter which airline you're flying since the security checkpoint is before all ticket counters. As the items were going through the scanner security asked me which bags were to be checked versus carryon. When the carryon bag with the tripod was identified by the scanner security made me pack it into my checked bag. I guess I could've hidden in a corner before the ticket counter and re-packed the tripod in my carryon but in my mind not worth the risk of being caught doing something like that in a foreign country.

Reply to: FYI to everyone- DO NOT carry on you tripods here
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted