We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa Overstay by 1 day

Oulu
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
Visa Overstay by 1 day

There were only old threads about this topic, so I'm asking again. I counted the days wrong when I booked our flights and we are staying 31 days instead of 30. I know it's a 300 000rp fine for overstaying one day, but what I'm more interested is that is it going to be a huge hassle at the airport? So far I have planned applying a 60d visa, but the overstay fine would be about half the price. TIA for your thoughts :)

33 replies to this topic
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,332 posts
129 reviews
1. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

There has been a proposal to raise the overstay fine to one million rupiah (75 usd) but it's not clear if or when that has been or will be implemented. In any case, it's not that big of a hassle, (in my experience) they take you into the private office and input your dates into the computer which calculates the overstay and fine. The officers might scold you a little for being neglectful but the new generation that is at the airport immigration is pretty professional and courteous. This is assuming you also treat them with respect.

You pay and they give you a receipt and you go directly to the gate. Do keep in mind that your day arriving and day leaving are both counted.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,387 posts
855 reviews
2. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

Agree with the above comment, it's not a hassle at all as long as you are respectful. I think a lot of tourists do exactly the same thing, calculate wrongly by one day, and immigration will just assume it is another mistake and let you pay the fine.

Perth
Level Contributor
567 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

I'm wondering if it might be better to just cough up for the longer visa. I know it's just money down the drain but they might change their system between now and then and you might find it's a bigger problem. Also, what if overstaying a visa and being fined might affect you some time in the future. I'm probably worrying for nothing, but peace of mind has a value. Whatever you do, I hope it works out well for you and you have a great holiday.

Oulu
Level Contributor
34 posts
32 reviews
4. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

Thank you everybody! I think I'll pay for longer visa,thinking of the overall costs the add is not so much.

Saltash, United...
Level Contributor
497 posts
38 reviews
5. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

We did it a few years ago with 4 of our kids, it was so funny being marched across the airport to the offices, everyone looking at us because of the kids. This was in the days before the airport was updated and I had to go outside to get money from an ATM the guard on the door wouldn't let me back in until I payed him first. I did but made a big issue of it and it was spotted by the chap who was waiting for me to pay the fine.

The fine wasn't very much but like many we had mis-calculated by a day. I must say they were full of apologises for having to fine us.

1 post
1 review
6. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

its fine they take u in office and u pay 5mins work

Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
7. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

Just wondering if someone can clarify if the fine is still 300.000? We're in Bali and flying to oz from Jakarta but have realised we'll be overstaying by 2 days

Thanks

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
206 reviews
8. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

Hi,

Yes it’s still 300k per day.

Cheers

Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

Thank you 😊😊

Sihanoukville...
1 post
10. Re: Visa Overstay by 1 day

Does overstaying by one day and paying a fine affect my chances of getting back into the country a few weeks later?

Reply to: Visa Overstay by 1 day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted