We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshare scam

Reigate, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Timeshare scam

Be aware that you will receive a phone call from the Peninsular Hotel saying that you have won a holiday certificate; your details have been sold by immigration staff from the landing cards to timeshare companies.

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshare scam

hi phil

and ????

can you elaborate some more ?

thanks

batt

Avalon Beach...
Level Contributor
822 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshare scam

Hi Batt,

We got caught in 2005. We went out for the day and left my brother in law at the hotel. He spent the afternoon drinking Bintang!! When we got back he informed us that my sister had received a call from a Hotel in Nusa Dua, she had won a 2 week, all expenses paid holiday and that they were coming the following day to collect us and take us to the hotel. My sister was to meet with the hotel manager, they were going to take her photo and she would be in their advertising!! Next day we were collected by mini van and taken to a timeshare hotel and taken into a large room full of people sitting at tables for 6 and it wasn't until then that we realised what was going on. We did get a free lunch out it. We told the salesman how angry we were and he just laughed. Someone in immigation at the airport is selling names and hotel details to the timeshare companies.

So even if you don't answer the questions from the hawkers in the street asking you to complete a Survey, they still get you!!

(And never believe a work my BIL says! ha ha)

Fran

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshare scam

hi fran

i havent got that one yet .

but theres also the blokes in the main street of kuta with the scratchie cards , you won a t-shirt or dvd player ...yeh right what a trick, we were warned of this scam prior , luckily

i have also herd if you dont buy into the timeshare , they leave you stranded to find your own way back to your hotel .

not a nice way to entice people to come to the country im afraid , immigration records , should have tighter security also , by the sounds of it .

i never know the phone number or address of where im staying so it doesnt go on the card . hehehehe

cheers

batt

Avalon Beach...
Level Contributor
822 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshare scam

Hi Batt,

We didn't give them the address or phone number, just the name of the hotel. They must be so desperate they track you down! Lucky for them they provided transport back to our hotel. It would have been pretty ugly if they hadn't!!

The funny part was we had spent the day in Kuta dodging all the hand outs and surveys and then got stung because of my BIL.

Fran

Reigate, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshare scam

batt

I didn't take it further as it seemed too good to be true, just confirmed it was timeshare the next day with hotel staff (Griya Santrian - fab).

6. Re: Timeshare scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 03:46