We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re travel from denpasar bali to malang

2 posts
Re travel from denpasar bali to malang

Hi all i just went on holiday to Bali (many trips to Bali from Australia) a few days ago i only went one night over to java, i flew denpensar to surabaya where my friend and his driver friend meet me and my daughter to drive down to malang, this trip spent alot of time in car with traffic on weeken 1 night was deffinatley not enough even my local friend said that not enough time but i needed to visit them and get a taste of malang before i go over next year...

So my question is im flying solo to Bali in February 2019 and going to go stay malang for over a week..which is best airline or best way to get to malang fast without delays or bad airline without lost time? I used citilink to go over last time and they were good but lion air back to bali was no good 3 hour delay stuck in surabaya airport with my young daughter was so bad because we got back 1am into bali.

If you can advice best fastest way for solo traveler to malang from denpasar and back ???thank you in advance

6 replies to this topic
lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
206 reviews
1. Re: Re travel from denpasar bali to malang

Hi,

Wings have a direct flight to Malang.

Cheers

2 posts
2. Re: Re travel from denpasar bali to malang

I read a few reviews on them and recent ones say bad things like lots of cancellations and delays 😏

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,332 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Re travel from denpasar bali to malang

Try to avoid weekends, Malang is a huge weekend destination for people in East Java so traffic will always be heavy then.

Cililink will always be better than Lion Air just in general.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,681 posts
206 reviews
4. Re: Re travel from denpasar bali to malang

Hi,

Well that's par for the course with any of the affiliated Lion carriers, it even happens to the best ones. Really it's your choice, the convenience of a direct flight or a possibly more reliable carrier to Surabaya and then taxi or minivan ride to Malang.

Cheers

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Re travel from denpasar bali to malang

I don't like lion or Wings but I if I were you I will take that flight instead of flying to Surabaya and get stuck in traffic

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
6. Re: Re travel from denpasar bali to malang

Malang-Denpasar served by direct flights. However, since Malang located in mountain area makes landing/take off more thrilling comparing to airports in low-land area. Surrounded by active volcanoes means higher chance to get delayed/cancelled/diverted.

Some people prefer night bus/travel service so they can save accommodation cost.

If you really need to fly to Surabaya, try to catch the last flight from Denpasar. The last flight will landed around 9 pm in Surabaya, allow you to travel to Malang in less congested traffic. When you want to go back to Denpasar, try to get the first flight from Surabaya (around 6 am). So you need depart from Malang around 3 am. It will give you more relaxed traffic.

Friday afternoon and Saturday usually the days where the busiest road traffic from Surabaya to Malang. Then, the traffic from Malang to Surabaya will be peaked on Sunday afternoon.

Reply to: Re travel from denpasar bali to malang
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted