We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tibet - Nepal in May

United States
Level Contributor
164 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Tibet - Nepal in May

So I found out about Budget Tibet Tours from this forum and am planning to visit Tibet through them. I currently live/work in Beijing so will be traveling to Tibet from here. The tour company recommended 2 tours and I'm leaning towards this one: budgettibettour.com/small-group-tour/small-g… (the other one is similar except it goes back to Lhasa). So I figured that I might as well cross the border and spend a few days in Kathmandu.

Has anyone done something similar? Can you provide some tips/suggestions on itinerary? Also transportation into Tibet and out of Nepal back to Beijing? I've read that it's good to fly to Xining, spend a couple days then train to Lhasa, or just fly straight to Lhasa...Has anybody had experience with either?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

Yeah, enjoy the train experience if your travel time is allowed, 1) it is better to acclimatize yourself to the high altitude slowly; 2) enjoy the landscape of the roof of the world.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

Hi Xiach,

I'm currently planning a trip to Tibet myself around Mid-may say 15th onwards.

Fly into Xining from Shenzhen, stay a few days to acclimatize.

Train from Xining to Lhasa, around 3 days in Lhasa

Then visit Shigatse and Mt Everest basecamp and the sights in between.

Similar to the tour you are joining.

I'm based out of HK, let me know.

Cheers.

M

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Shigatse
Shigatse
Tibet, China
United States
Level Contributor
164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

Do you plan on visiting Amdo county while you're in Xining? That's what I want to do instead of just sitting around in Xining which I hear doesn't have much to offer.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

Hi there, good to hear from you.

I will need to research more but I was told Qutan Temple, Qinghai Lake and Ta'er Monastery (Kumbum Monastery) are the places to visit for those few days. So Amdo will definitely be going to.

Did you confirm your tour yet? I've been quoted similar prices with different agencies. However I'm thinking since we don't require permits, can we just hire a local guide and driver and how much that would cost etc..

Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

Hi xiach, Yes it is good to fly to Xi'ning and take the one day train to get to Lhasa and you can get better acclimatized to the high altitude and it surely helps for your overall travel experience.

For the tour itinerary, there are lots of websites about Tibet tour and trekking, you can find out and compare and you can even ask agencies to tailor make a personal one.

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Tibet
Tibet
China
United States
Level Contributor
164 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

Hi Tony, so you're saying that the best way to minimize altitude discomfort/sickness is to fly into Xining from Beijing, stay a few days, then train to Lhasa? How does that compare to

1. flying straight to Lhasa and spend a couple days with minimum activity

2. flying to Chengdu, spend a few days there (I do have plans to visit the Panda research base, etc), then train into Lhasa

3. flying to Chengdu, spend a few days there then fly into Lhasa

Are there any other better options?

Edited: 13 April 2015, 16:03
Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

The main risk factors in altitude sickness going straight to 3000+ meters , exertion , and going outside safety guidelines ( i.e. more than five hundred meters higher in sleeping elevation per night ) after that.

None of the other alternatives are near as good as one or more nights first in Xining @ 2300 meters and then the train ( http://korta.nu/3e3c ) from there , which gives you one more night at 3000+ , at rest. Chengdu is 800-ish meters , zero acclimatization value. You could go to Kangding from there , it was nice enough when I came down from Kham , around 2600 meters.

Since the days in Tibet probably will be the most expensive days on your trip it makes sense to invest some time and effort in proper acclimatization.

Edited: 13 April 2015, 18:03
Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Tibet
Tibet
China
Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
832 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

Yah acclimatization in Chengdu doesn't make any sense as it is only around 550m, best is either acclimatize in Xining and then train into Tibet or fly into Lhasa and take couple of easy days in Lhasa for acclimatization.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Tibet
Tibet
China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

Train Xi'ning to Lhasa does help for altitude acclimatization, but too long time train travel from Chengdu or Beijing is too much for some travelers. If you fly to Lhasa, the first two days light tour with easy activity can not be VERY hard, after arrival try to behave right to get well acclimatized, e.g, drink more water than usual, take few medicine which can be easily got in Lhasa after arrival, and try rest well...

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tibet - Nepal in May

Persistent myth : drinking more water does NOT protect against altitude sickness , and can taken far enough give exactly the same symptoms as severe altitude sickness :

http://korta.nu/myths