We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to/from Lhasa in May

sydney
9 posts
Save Topic
Train to/from Lhasa in May

Hi, I am booking a Tibet tour with a well regarded Lhasa based company and they have informed me that the train from/to Xining is fully booked in mid May and I will need to fly. Are there alternative ways of getting a train ticket? Obviously, a way that is secure and will not give large profits to agents/scalpers. Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,465 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train to/from Lhasa in May

The tickets have names on them and can't be scalped. Check on a ticket agent's website such as fellow Australian www.china-diy-travel.com for the ticket availability. Then maybe your only option is to fly. These tickets are hard to come by and tickets for May have been released for about a week. You can also try to email them to see if they have any other way.

Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Train to/from Lhasa in May

I just helped you track the train tickets status for Xi'ning to Lhasa from May10 till May17, there are still a few soft sleeper tickets available for few specified dates (not every day) but there are so many hard sleeper tickets available. Currently tickets are only on sales for train till May17. For the later date, maybe the tickets will be dominated by some inner circles. If you book your trip many days ago, agency should be able to book the seats actually. This year the ticketing is not that hard as before, because normally tickets are on sales 60 days before train leaves. Hope this info helps.

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
sydney
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train to/from Lhasa in May

Thank you very much for the help. http://www.china-diy-travel.com/ had 2 soft seats for my travel date and I booked one. Their service was excellent and the price was fair.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
44,465 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train to/from Lhasa in May

Since everybody sources their tickets from the same place, it is surprising that the first agent could not get you those tickets. In any case, all is well for you.

Chengdu, China
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Train to/from Lhasa in May

I had searched China's Train Official Website: www.12306.cn which says there are many hard sleeper tickets on Z917, T223, Z265 from May 13 to May 17.

Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Train to/from Lhasa in May

Yep, so actually train travel 2015 is much easier than before. In these years, we normally helped a lot travelers with train to and from Lhasa in the season from September to the next June (except for the closure time), We'd better confirm the train schedule ASAP, 70 days in advance, please confirm with agent with personal passports documents.

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
832 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train to/from Lhasa in May

yah i think if you book soon then still they have tickets for your date, actually China train tickets policy was changed end of last year exploretibet.com/blog/… and train tickets started to sell 60 days before its departure date, so ask your operator to double check and they may charge a service fee for that.

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Train to/from Lhasa in May

For the train ticketing status, the best one is to find the Train Booking platform and travelers can easily get the latest train schedule and policy. It is good to try to find someone who can help foreigners translate Chinese to English and they can find the direct resource rather than self promotional info.

9. Re: Train to/from Lhasa in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2016, 09:46