We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
322 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

Hi

Anyone know if the Tangula Luxury Train is running. I don't necessarily mean this month as I know travel at this time of year to Tibet is not allowed but 2015 generally is it running?

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

So far, a complete nonstarter. This service never materialized, even though you'll read marketing descriptions from years past, "schedules," along with lovely photos, that make it sound like the Tangula actually operated. The economics and the internal politics were against it happening....and in the current situation, I don't think you'll be seeing this one in 2015.

Ra'anana, Israel
Level Contributor
322 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

Thanks!

Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

Tangula Luxury Train runs, but this is the regular train, not the high speed train at all. We just took the train few days ago with 14 UK travelers!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

Tony, please elaborate, as you appear to be an agent. Were your cars appended to one of the regularly scheduled Chinese trains (if yes, which K, T, or Z) or did you have your own locomotive/engine? Did you stop between Golmud and Nakchu, where passengers could get off the train? What are the specifics about the carriages (sleeping, dining, other) used and who's managing the service? Originally this was supposed to be managed by the luxury Kempinski hotel group (German).

Edited: 21 February 2015, 00:43
Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
737 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

The Qinghai Tibet train has few minutes stop between Golmud and Nakchu, but passengers do not get off in this part normally. We have lots of videos and photos for the train travel which we just took few days ago. Later we can share with you privately if you like. There are 3 category of the train tickets, the soft sleeper, hard sleeper and soft seat, there are two cars of sleeper berth and for each car there are 8 cabins with 4 soft sleeper berth for each cabin. And there are 6 hard sleeper berth for each cabin of hard sleeper. and there are so many soft seats for each train.

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

Thanks for responding. I'll p.m. you with an email address you can send me some more info.

But this does not sound like the original "Tangula Luxury Train" concept that was talked about several years ago. That train was supposed to have 2-person private suites with bathroom and shower, not the usual soft- and hard- sleeper arrangements. No soft seat category. Butler service, gourmet dining, etc. Three photo stops between Golmud and Nakchu from the platform area of the stations, with an overnight in Nakchu. I'm guessing that the name "Tangula Luxury Train" is now being applied to a completely different product/concept than was originally marketed in the 2006-2012 period.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
836 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

HI Yah the train from mainland China cities to Lhasa was marketed as Luxury train but there is no shower on the train and the first class ticket is the soft sleeper ticket where 4 people sharing one cabin and toilet is public toilet available in each carriage.

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,434 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

In other words, there is still no truly luxury train running on this route, regardless of whether the name "Tangula" is in it or not.

9. Re: Is the Tangula Luxury Train Running

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2016, 10:46