We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Topic
Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

My name is David, I'm currently planning my trip to TIbet, I got a inspiring offer from Tibet Vista Tours (tibettravel.org).

Before I decide, is there anybody with recent experience using Tibet Vista(tibettravel.org) can give me some advice?

many thanks in advance!

cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Tibet Vista
Tibet Vista
606 Reviews
Lhasa, China
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

Look at this proposed tour on their site :

tibettravel.org/m/private-journeys/overland-…

First night after Kathmandu in Zhangmu , just across the,border. altitude 2300 . Next night at Everest Base Camp , around 5000 . This could easily kill you . Their health advice includes not getting excited , and avoiding showers as a way to prevent pulmonary edema .. which is a recurring theme among Chinese travel agents .

http://korta.nu/stinks

Mentioned in this post
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
2. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 16:05
Lhasa
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

I'm currently working in Chengdu, and booked a tour with Tibet Vista in May. They seemed to be very professional and offered many valuable advice. During the tour, we came across little problem, but they handled it very well. Anyway, I think it's a very wonderful experience and I don't regret this choice.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Tibet Vista
Tibet Vista
606 Reviews
Lhasa, China
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

# 2 registered yesterday , obviously after this thread started.

Going directly from Shigatse ( less than two hundred meters higher than Lhasa ) to EBC is neither knowledgable or responsible . Anyone who has organised trips like this have seen people react badly , and is aware that it can go a lot worse. Read the basic safety guidelines from ISMM at ismm.org , the CDC advisory ( which is the US national health guidelines ) at http://korta.nu/cdcalt or any other medical source. Talking of being professional and valuable advice in this context is embarrasing , it's the equivalent of meeting a diving buddy who doesn't know if it's air or oxygen in the tanks , and never has heard of diving tables.

For some more examples of death at EBC after crazy fast routes ( apart from the one highlighted in my first post & link ) see Losangs blog at :

…typepad.com/life_on_the_tibetan_plate/2011/…

or the classic High Altitude Medicine Handbook by Pollard , a constant item in my backpack in the Himalyas for more than a decade.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 14:04
Mentioned in this post
Shigatse
Shigatse
Tibet, China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
5. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 16:05
Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
5,891 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

Pattern repeats itself : last poster has nothing but praise , made a tour outside safety guidelines and registered ...today. Always be wary of first posters that recommend travel agents etc

Edited: 20 June 2014, 15:58
7. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 18:05
8. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 18:05
Seattle
Level Contributor
2 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

I booked a trip with Tribettravel.org and traveled in May. During the booking process they were very responsive and answered the 300 questions I had. When I arrived in Chengdu, my agent gave me my Tibet permit and the next day I left for Lhasa. I had an awesome adventure. My guide and driver were phenomenal. They showed me a side of Tibet I was not sure was possible. I enjoyed my time in Lhasa. I even got to hang out at my guides family's teahouse - which I miss very much - sipping delicious sweet milk (yak) tea. Waking around the Barkohr temple with the Tibetans was a real highlight. We traveled next to Shigtatse over incredible mountain passes and stopping at the blue colored Yamduk lake. Along the way we stopped and ate at places where I got to taste many variations of yak dishes - which I loved. We saw chanting monks in temples, toured other sites, and arrived in Shigatse. (Not my favorite town in Tibet). The next day we traveled up to the EBC. Scary Scary road - but the driver was amazing - pushing the envelope for speed just enough - but very very safe. The scenery was really amazing - like seeing all the natural wonders in the US in one day. Some of it even looked like the moon. Seeing MT. Everest was a lifelong dream. But my favorite part of the whole trip was spending the night in the Yak hair tent with Tibetans. We laughed, ate, drank (not much it's 18000 ft!), and I slept really well - A lot of people have problems, but I thought it was really comfortable and cozy. The next day we started the return - back to Shigatse, then the next day to Lhasa.It was very sad that my trip was coming to an end. I had new friends. When people ask me what I liked most about Tibet, I always tell them, "The people". I have traveled to 40 countries and the Tibetans were by far the nicest people on the planet I have met. It was a tough trip - some bad roads, high altitude, some nasty restrooms, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I travel a lot and I honestly was very impressed with Tibettravel.org. I was glad they were there to assist always with anything I needed, requests I had, security checks (which there are a lot of), etc. My guide told me he had been on that route over 500 times. I could tell. Some people might get complacent at that number of trips, but not my guide, he was engaged and interested the whole trip. I took 1050 pictures - a new record for me. It's a beautiful place. I miss it and the friends I made there.

Mentioned in this post
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Tibet
Tibet
China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Shigatse
Shigatse
Tibet, China
Uki, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for Advice on Travel to Tibet

CITS arranged a personal tour for us through Tibet and China. This included overland travel from Kathmandu to Lhasa, by train across the Tibet-Qinghai plateau to Xining, a tour of Qinghai Lake and Niao Dao (Bird Island), plane to Chengdu, and day trips to local attractions CITS provided four separate guides and drivers in Nepal, Tibet, Qinghai and Chengdu, and took care of all our accommodation and travel arrangements. This was quite a complex schedule and with the odd exception everything worked out pretty well. Doing this as a personal tour for the two of us rather than in a larger group provided a lot of advantages – we could negotiate the schedule to suit, we had a more personal relationship with the guides, and our progress was more nimble.

The guides were very pleasant and professional, especially in Tibet and Chengdu. I must admit to having some reservations about using a Chinese tour company in Tibet, but this was soon dispelled. Our guide was a really nice guy, a Tibetan and a Buddhist, and so we got a well informed, passionate and authentic guide through the key centres of Tibetan Buddhism such as the Tashilumpo, Sera and Drepung monasteries as well of course the star attraction, the Potala Palace. Similarly, our Chengdu guide was a charming and passionate advocate of her city. Chengdu was in fact a pleasant surprise, with a pretty rich array of attractions – I think the most interesting Chinese city after Beijing. Our guide said to us “You came here for the pandas, right?” Well, in fact we had stopped here because it was a logical stopover en our route back to Australia. The pandas are indeed a star attraction not to be missed, but there’s lots more. On the afternoon we arrived we visited Jinli Street and Kuan-Zhai Lane (both attractive pedestrian zones with food stalls and restaurants), Wuhou Temple, and then a great night out at the Shu Fen Yay Yun Sichuan opera – really a variety show rather than just opera.

I should mention the things that did not go so well, in case you think I am only singing CITS’s praises. These were fairly minor, and probably to be expected in such a complex tour arranged for us. The schedule in Tibet provided for us to visit Sakya monastery en route from Everest Base Camp to Shigatse, but this was never realistic and in fact wasn’t listed in our tour guide’s version of the programme. The road to EBC is very rough and time consuming, and even the main Friendship highway takes time with many police checks (often with a prescribed time between checkpoints - drivers cannot take less than this). We would also have appreciated more advance information about the train to Xining – for example about meals etc, since most on board announcements were only in Chinese. A good tip would be to take tea or coffee to use the boiling water provided. The Qinghai guides were adequate but less experienced, and had the expectation that we would buy their meals, contrary to our information.

Overall, this as a fantastic tour into a fascinating region and we were able to cover a lot of ground and cram in a lot of sights in just over two weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Chengdu
Chengdu