We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,327 reviews
Save Topic
Visa

Canadian entering Tibet from Nepal with a group, is visa a single page in passport like many countries, my passport is getting fuller?

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,316 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa

There is no Tibet visa. You need a China visa. Here are the visa requirements:http://ca.china-embassy.org/eng/lsyw/gzrz/vusa/t37725.htm

They used to ask for two blank pages facing each other but I do not see this requirement any more.

Then to enter Tibet you need the Tibet permit. Since you cannot roam around Tibet freely without a guide, whoever is organizing your tour should take care of all this for you.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa

If you enter from Nepal there may be further restrictions on the Chinese visa that require the application to be processsed in tandem with the Tibet tour organiser. You should seek advice about this. I know someone who had a perfectly valid multiple-entry visa for China and who wished to make this crossing from Nepal but was unable to do so last year without forfeiting her existing visa. I'm sure there will be a local advisor who can explain the situation.

Kathmandu, Nepal
Destination Expert
for Nepal
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa

Hello,

If you apply from Nepal then you will have group paper visa. They won't stamp on your passport but the embassy in Kathmandu will give you printed paper. You will also need Tibet Travel Permit.

Good Luck!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Algonquin Provincial Park
Level Contributor
1,696 posts
1,327 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa

So I do not need free pages in my passport like some visas

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa

Don't get a Chinese tourist visa : it will not give you access to Tibet. You can only enter on a group visa , you can not interact directly with the Chinese embassy. The full process :

1. Select a travel agent in Ktm

2. Sign the forms you are handed by the agent , hand over passport & money

3. Show up for the ride to the border and walk across the Friendship Bridge

4 . New vehicle and guide

Lhasa
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa

If you enter from Nepal, a group visa and tibet permit is needed and it seems more complex than from China. Moreover, you have more choice to get into Tibet from China, like air or train to Lhasa.

You can just give all your problems to a travel agency which can help you handle all the things.(Foreigners are not allowed to go to Tibet alone, you have to choose an agency)

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa

Hold it for a moment. Lot of mixed up information here.

Entering Tibet from Nepal: DO NOT get a visa for China beforehand, it goes to waste as it will be canceled when you are issued a group visa for China/Tibet in Kathmandu. If you enter Tibet from Nepal you basically have to stay with the group until you exit China, so this is not the best way to go if you want to explore China after visiting Nepal and Tibet.

Entering Tibet from China, exiting to Nepal: You need normal China visa for China, after getting that you can arrange a tour to Tibet (TAR region of Tibet to be exact) with a travel agency, who will get you the Tibet permit. This is the preferred way of doing it if you want to see China freely as you wish before heading to Tibet and Nepal.

Getting into Tibet form Nepal seems to be slightly faster than from Chengdu for example, getting the group visa for China/Tibet from Nepal takes a week or so, getting the Tibet permit from China takes 2 weeks at least.

If your passport is getting full, get a fresh one before your trip. It is a legitimate reason to replace it before it expires.

Edited: 20 March 2014, 12:30
8. Re: Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 10:48