We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

Singapore
Level Contributor
628 posts
45 reviews
I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

Hi

I would love to plan a trip to Tibet but I am clueless about it. I only know I need 5 people of the same nationality to get a permit (permit to enter Tibet?). If I would like to take the train from China, where should i start? Anyone has any good agency to recommend? I know that all tourists have to do Tibet with a tour agency so I'm not worried about planning the itinerary within Tibet but I'm also keen to travel in other countries around Tibet.

Other than Nepal, what other places can I travel to from Tibet?

Thanks for your help i'm really clueless....

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

Look for Tibetan run agencies in Xining - staying a few nights there will also help a lot in acclimatizing to Tibet´s altitude. Overland to Nepal is a great experience , make sure you get some time in Shigatse and Gyantse - apart from the Barkhor old town area and the Potala Lhasa is dominated by new glass and steel cityscape.

You have little choice apart from the Friendship Highway to Nepal going from Tibet : there are no open land borders between China and India since 1962 , and you can´t cross in to Bhutan either. Pakistan is open via the Karakoram Highway - this is a major undertaking in time and money , and closes for a few months every winter.

Within China you have Tibetan cultural areas in Kham and Amdo (Labrang/Xiahe , Lithang etc ) as well . Often it makes more sense to going there first , since you have better chances of planning a slow ascent , and adjust to altitude. Many agents active in Tibet have reckless itineraries .

Edited: 25 September 2012, 15:17
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

You could start train ride in Xining, Lanzhou, Xian, Chengdu, Chongqing, Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou. The order is from near to distant. Ticket is easy to be obtained from Xining.

Tour companies:

local: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294223-i8162-k575…

National ones:

china highlights: chinahighlights.com

China odeyssey: chinaodysseytours.com

If you come over next year, there would be no more 5-people policy.

Not very sure about travel situation out of China. But in generall, it is Nepal or Bhutan from Tibet. But no border pass yet opened to Bhutan right now.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,238 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

Never heard of anyone succeeding going to Bhutan from TAR , and I´ve had my ear to the ground for a looong time.

Neither has the official Bhutan Tourism website ( tourism.gov.bt ) :

"Phuntsholing, Gelephu and Samdrup Jongkhar in eastern Bhutan are the only land border areas open for international tourists."

Phuntsoling and Gelephu are both southern border points.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
93 posts
1 review
4. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

Join a group tour from Singapore. Many travel Agents go there.

They will arrange everthing including your Tibet permit.

There are some agents that go via or return via Nepal.

Check the newspaper Classified Section and call them up.

I will be leaving with one of these group tours in 3 weeks time.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
162 posts
119 reviews
5. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

Hello.

Is it confirm that from next year there will be no 5 people policy for the visa permit?

All the best

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

It's highly likely as long as no break affairs like the self-burning. Everything should fall into place from Dec. at earliest or beginning of Apr at latest.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tibet, Montagna e sport invernali, Milan, Nepal, Bhaktapur, Kathmandu, Jomsom, Mustang Region, Namche Bazaar, Sagarmatha National Park, Ladakh, Annapurna Region
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
308 reviews
7. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

The true is that nobody knows what will happen and what the cinese government will decide. Please post only confirmed notices.

I suggest everybody, If you want to contribute to Tibet forum, to give fairly news. Just to be honest with travellers. In any case the situation is not easy so it's important that Destinations Experts and Frequent Travellers give news to make easier for travellers to know what are the real difficulties, what is allowed and what not. And it's important not to give false expectations. Fairly news is important for everybody ;-))))

8. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 17:05
Edited: 24 October 2012, 17:05
jakarta
Level Contributor
51 posts
9. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

chriskoh.. did you finally make your trip to Tibet? Im planning to go there as well and looking for a travelling partner at the moment.

Bunbury, Western...
Level Contributor
617 posts
38 reviews
10. Re: I Want To Go Tibet - Where Do I Start?

We did Bhutan, Nepal and Tibet so our website might help you get a feel for all three countries. See railway-train-travel.com.au/tibet-nepal-bhut…