We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

Hello

I will be taking a train from Xining to Lhasa in October. Its a 21 hour journey and would like to get some tips on what to eat while I am on it. I cannot eat spicy food, so thinking of bringing meals with me. I know I am overthinking the whole thing, but what do people eat and how do they wash up their cutlery afterwards? Get some hot water from the boiler and wash them in the toilet? Bring single use? There is only that much noodles that I can eat in a day =)

8 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
1. Re: Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

And can someone who went to EBC tour (by car/bus) please share any tips on what was needed? Do I need my own cup/cutlery? Whats it like in guest houses?

Holland
Level Contributor
648 posts
1 review
2. Re: Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

No, you don't need your own cup / cutlery at EBC. And it's cold at night in the guesthouse and in the tents at EBC. So maybe you should take a warm sleeping bag with you.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,329 posts
3. Re: Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

On the train they walk through with some food, but that didn't apeal to me.

However there is also a dining car. We had great freshly prepared Chinese food, including seafood. But I don't know if that is regularly available as we where invited by the train supervisor and I didn't ask for the menue.

Level Contributor
188 posts
4. Re: Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

There is a dining car on the train, where you can get some fresh dishes. But it's expensive. Thus, not too many people go there. People often take some instant food, the most common one is the noodle. You could take some bread, fruit, milk, etc.

Lhasa/Xining
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

On the train I don't really want to eat thing, but if it's a long ride, I often bring bread, pre-washed fruit and instant noodle.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
6. Re: Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

came back from the trip - the restaurant cart sells an overpriced crap. Did not like any of their dishes. Stick to what you bring (noodles/bread/fruit/nut bars) and buy more noodles if hungry

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,329 posts
7. Re: Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

Yes agree, what they offer on the push cart is crap.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
8. Re: Train to Lhasa - what to eat?

on the push cart is not bad - water, soft drinks, noodles. But the restaurant is just not worth it

Reply to: Train to Lhasa - what to eat?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted