We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do trains run on time between Xining and Lhasa?

Shinjuku, Japan
2 posts
Do trains run on time between Xining and Lhasa?

My friend and I are planning to go to Tibet in late April next year. We will be in Tibet for 7 days.

We will take the Qinghai-Tibet railway both ways between Xining and Lhasa. There is no problem on the way to Lhasa as far as we get the tickets (soft sleepers). However, on our way back from Lhasa, we will have to take the 9:00 am train because of our flight from Xining.

1) No one mentions so far whether the trains run on time or not. Is it usual that they are always delay half an hour or so, or over one hour? We have 3-hour leeway between the official train arrival time and airplane departure.

2) The 9:00 am train runs every 2 days according to the train time table. How can I figure out what days the train actually runs?

Thanks

NI

5 replies to this topic
Kirkland, Washington
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Do trains run on time between Xining and Lhasa?

I've only taken the train from Xining to Lhasa (I flew back). It left on time and arrived in Lhasa two hours early. Fortunately I had my guide's telephone number and after calling him he arrived within five minutes.

Your travel agent should be able to tell what days the train runs; mine obtained my soft sleeper tickets.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
129 posts
2. Re: Do trains run on time between Xining and Lhasa?

For Qinghai - Tibet trains, they mostly will depart on time, unless during monsoon season, such as July - August this year, some trains delayed to arrive in Lhasa. If you are traveling in April, chances for train delay will be very small. By the way, according to the train schedules this year, there are 9 am trains every day, just with different train numbers. Good luck!

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
3. Re: Do trains run on time between Xining and Lhasa?

Dear Ni,

First, I checked the train tickets online. The train from Lhasa to Xining at 9:00am opens every day. It's Z6802 and Z918. Usually, the train will start on time or delay half an hour or so. I think you can catch your flight. : )

Good luck!

Level Contributor
162 posts
4. Re: Do trains run on time between Xining and Lhasa?

Don't worry. The possibility of missing your flight is very small. The train departs every day at 09:00.

Lhasa, Xizang, China
Level Contributor
762 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Do trains run on time between Xining and Lhasa?

Lhasa to Xi'ning train has many morning departures options, it should be no problem for the flight connection, However you will need to book the tickets 30 days before train leaves.

Reply to: Do trains run on time between Xining and Lhasa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted