We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day tour to Ganden Monastery

6 posts
Save Topic
Day tour to Ganden Monastery

My guided tour in Tibet does not include Ganden Monastery and I am considering to add one day to the tour to visit it.

- If I have a private car abd driver, is it possible to cover it one day and still return in time for sunset (November time) in the Lhalu Wetlands? Understabd they are in opposite directions, and the monastery is at least a 90min drive from Lhasa.

- Besides the view of Wangbur Mountain, I am wondering if it is easy to photograph inside the temples and capture a bit of the daily routine if the monks. My experience in Bhutan and Mongolia suggests that photography is not that welcomed. What is your experience?

- On the way back, are there any stops in the road which I can do to photograph Lhasa and the Potala Palace from an advantage point?

Thank you!

5 replies to this topic
Holland
Level Contributor
530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day tour to Ganden Monastery

You can't just arrange a private car with driver to go to Ganden Monastery. This visit must be on your itinerary and on your Tibet permit . And you have to go there with your guide. Photographing inside the big monasteries in and around Lhasa (including Ganden) has been restricted in the last year's. Before you were allowed to take pictures inside the big assembly halls when you paid a certain amount of money for it. Nowadays this is not allowed anymore. It's still allowed to make pictures inside the halls of the Pelkor Chode monastery at Gyantse.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day tour to Ganden Monastery

You need to make the detailed daily visiting plan with your tour agency, and go visiting with licensed tour guide, instead of hiring a car by yourself, because foreign travelers are not allowed to travel freely without a pre-arranged daily visiting program. It's possible to drive from Lhasa to the wetland,then to Ganden monastery and back to Lhasa in one day. Before taking pictures you can consult your guide, guide will give you instructions on taking pictures, most monasteries are not allowed to taking pictures inside. Good luck!

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day tour to Ganden Monastery

Thank you. I definitely need to plan with an agency - heard that there are checkpoints and only autherized visit plans pass. Good to know that I can mix the wetland,then to Ganden monastery and back to Lhasa in one day. That clears my first day in Lhasa for adapt to attitude.

Holland
Level Contributor
530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Day tour to Ganden Monastery

Yes, there are checkpoints and yes, you can do it in one day. There is a highway nowadays going to Ganden and beyond. But be aware Ganden is on an altitude of about I think 4,300 meter. To get accustomed to the altitude it's not really a good start of your Tibet travel on day one.

Waikiki, Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day tour to Ganden Monastery

The CHINESE have so many restrictions. They are ruling out of fear. The Tibetans are peaceful by nature. But the Chinese abducting and forcing 1,OOO,OOO Uighurs into "reeducation camps" will return to haunt them.

Reply to: Day tour to Ganden Monastery
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted