We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
194 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

Hi,

I am sorry if this has been asked heaps before but I just wanted to check how I can visit Lhasa from Kathmandu? I only want to visit Lhasa for a few days and will be travelling on an Australian passport.

Thanks

11 replies to this topic
Holland
Level Contributor
536 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

You will have to book a tour with a travel agency in Lhasa or Kathmandu.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

You can fly from Kathmandu to Lhasa by 3U8720 or CA408 two direct flight. But you'd better contact tour agency at least 1 month in advance, and make a detailed tour plan with them. Send your passport copy, we will help you apply for Tibet group visa invitation letter from Lhasa, then you need at least 3 working days in Kathmandu to apply for the group visa, with help of local agent. You need this group visa to enter Tibet from Lhasa. And in this way, you don't need to apply for Chinese visa. Good luck!

Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

Option 1. Fly to Lhasa from Kathmandu.

Option 2. Kathmandu - Gyirong border - Tibet, by car

But first, you have to book a tour with a Tibet travel agency. It's a compulsory policy.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
353 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

If you only want to visit Lhasa for a few days, i would suggest you to fly from Kathmandu to Lhasa, rather than by land;

To fly directly from Kathmandu to Lhasa, you will need a special Chinese visa, called Chinese Group Visa, done in Kathmandu. None other usual Chinese visa works here. You need to contact a travel agent, and let them know your specific scheduel in Kathmandu. The special visa needs three full working days in Kathmandu.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

If you go to Lhasa from Kathmandu, you need to stay 3-working days in Kathmandu to apply for China group visa. You don't have to apply for Chinese visa in your home country in advance. If you travel in Tibet, also, you need a Tibet travel agency to apply for Tibet permits for you in advance. There are two days to travel in Lhasa from Kathmandu, one is fly to Lhasa from Kathmandu, the other is Kathmandu - Gyirong border - Tibet by car.

Have a good day! : )

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
194 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

Out of interest how much would a tour of Lhasa for a few days cost including flights? When i try looking at flights online they seem really expesnive

Espoo
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

Lhasa flights are not discounted, so the prices you find are what they are. My educated guess is that for Lhasa only (no need for car & driver, only guide, hotel and local transport) you would be looking at about $100/day (basic hotel). If you want to go outside the city add car & driver for another $100/day. Everything must be planned ahead as the itinerary can not be changed once the trip has started.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,957 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

#6 it depends on time of year but there's not a huge price break even on off-season for something like this. I agree that the flights are what they are, and the guide's time is what it is. The main component you have to play a little bit with is hotel quality/price. I'd say all-in with flights, for a single traveler, you're probably looking at USD 1000-1200 for a KTM-LXA-KTM jaunt of 4-5 days just for the city, more for going outside and needing car/driver.

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
89 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

I am sorry, this is not my post;) But is this price included flight tickets to/from Kathmandu? How much would it be if traveling by road? What’s the cost of a guide per day? Does the «group visa» mean that you are in a group with other visitors or is it just what it’s called when one has a private guide? Too many questions, sorry.. Thanks:)

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,957 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu

You can pretty much pencil in the cost of return flights KTM-LXA-KTM at around RMB 4000 (convert to the currency of your choice). Then add to that #7's estimate of $100 per day for Lhasa only (moderate hotel, more if you want a big brand nameplate hotel). And double it per day for every day outside Lhasa. Remember this is only a rough guide....it depends on exactly where you want to go.

So #9, you need to research various agents and their tours and get some benchmarks for pricing for whatever you have in mind. Don't expect overland trip pricing to save you lots of cash over the flights, as there are costs associated with overland that probably outstrip the pricey flights.

The "Tibet Group Visa" is something that is issued only in Kathmandu, to those foreigners going into Tibet directly from Kathmandu. A regular Chinese visa will not work for KTM-Tibet either going overland or by air. Foreigners going into Tibet from elsewhere inside China need a regular Chinese visa, most often obtained in their home country. Then, the tour agency you book with obtains a Tibet Travel Permit which is linked to the Group visa or the standard visa. For Tibet travel setups, you may be a Group of One. Or, if you cannot afford a private solo tour and need to join up with others only for the Tibet travels, you can be issued a Group Visa for yourself (group of one) which will then be joined with other groups (of one or more) to form a travel party that can share the expense of vehicle/driver and guide. If starting from Kathmandu, you need to allow a few days for the paperwork to be completed for your pickup, but the entire process of figuring out and booking your Tibet tour with an agent, needs to be done at least a month in advance. it's taking 2-3 weeks to get the Tibet Travel Permit.

Reply to: Visiting Lhasa from Kathmandu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted