We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tibet Entry Permit

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
194 reviews
Save Topic
Tibet Entry Permit

Where do I start to get entry permit to visit Tibet? I've read that one is required. We will arrive in Beijing on 10/20/18, and spend a few days in Beijing and X'ian before going to Tibet. At least that is the plan right now. Nothing is set in stone at this point.

Would it be easier to fly to Lhasa from Beijing, or Xian? Our departure city going back to the USA is Shanghai.

8 replies to this topic
Holland
Level Contributor
536 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tibet Entry Permit

You need to book a prearranged tour with a travel agency in Lhasa. After you booked this tour the travel agency will apply for your Tibet permit. You can't apply yourself for this permit.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tibet Entry Permit

Thanks for your prompt response. I've read that you need at least 15 days in advance to get this permit. Can this be done online? How far in advance do we need to make these plans?

Holland
Level Contributor
536 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tibet Entry Permit

For only a few days in Lhasa, maybe 15 days will be enough. But 3 weeks will be better. If you fly to Lhasa, you will need the original Tibet permit to be able to board the flight. So the travel agency in Lhasa will have to sent the original Tibet permit by mail to your hotel in China. You can book your Tibet tour through the internet /email. Once you booked the tour you email copies of your passport and your Chinese visa to the travel agency in Lhasa. With these copies the agency will apply for your Tibet permit .

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tibet Entry Permit

OK. Thanks. I'll look into it.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tibet Entry Permit

You should work on the Tibet part of the itinerary first, then fit the other China parts around this. Allow 3 weeks for Permit Processing. IMO, your overall time for China/Tibet is very short, since to make the Tibet effort worthwhile, it's best to devote a week to it though some people just do 3-4 days in and around Lhasa. Remember that the first day you arrive in Lhasa at high altitude, you will be quite wiped out and not very productive. Let whatever agent you decide on, deal with the arrangements to get you in and out of Lhasa (probably flights given your time frame) as well as the Tibet Travel Permit.

If you cannot afford a private tour in Tibet, then indicate your willingness to be put together with another 2-3 people in order to spread the costs of guide/driver/vehicle.

Edited: 13 August 2018, 06:21
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tibet Entry Permit

Thanks. I will do just that. Still sorting out the details.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tibet Entry Permit

You need to firstly contact a Tibet tour agency, book a tour, then the agency can help you apply for the travel permit. You'd better plan the tour with your agency at least 1 month in advance, the permit application takes 15 days, so better prepared in advance. Good luck!

Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tibet Entry Permit

Actually, it's easy to get the Tibet Permit. Because you don't need to do it by yourself. You just need to book a tour with a Tibet travel agency, and then send them the copy of your passport and China Visa by email. They will do the rest things. And yes, it's a compulsory regulation. The Tibetan Tourism Bureau doesn't accept Tibet Permit application from individuals.

Reply to: Tibet Entry Permit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted