We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xining - Lhasa train

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
59 reviews
Xining - Lhasa train

Ideally would like to take train on 16 September from Xining to Lhasa. Looking at ctrip gives a selection of available trains. However China DIY show 'no availability at all, email us'. They now say that due to current selling conditions there are only 3 trains with hard sleepers that have availability. As tickets haven't gone of sale yet, I am very confused! Is China DIY giving me better advice? Do they have more live access to ticketing? Also when will I know if the booking is successful? I need to book connecting flights. Any help appreciated!

7 replies to this topic
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
595 reviews
1. Re: Xining - Lhasa train

and you have the necessary permits to visit lhasa squared away?

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Xining - Lhasa train

Yes, tour booked and permit organised.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,709 posts
824 reviews
3. Re: Xining - Lhasa train

These tickets are not released yet so you can’t buy them for another couple of weeks. Any ticket availibility shown beyond 30 days is indicative only.

These tickets are hard to get.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
129 posts
4. Re: Xining - Lhasa train

In China, train tickets start to sell 30 days before departure date. Today August 3rd, we can only book departure date as late as on Sep. 1st. So i hope you will book your train tickets 15 days later, on the first booking day, chance is bigger. Good luck!

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Xining - Lhasa train

Thanks. The system doesn't inspire confidence. I have now given an agent several options and will keep my fingers crossed.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
48 posts
6. Re: Xining - Lhasa train

Dear, Any train tickets in China can buy only beyond 30 days as well as the train from Xining to Lhasa. For the train from Xining to Lhasa on Sept 16th, it doesn't sale online so far. What they said by your travel agency because they can't help you buy three soft-sleeper for you.

Level Contributor
162 posts
7. Re: Xining - Lhasa train

You can try on 17th. Sept. Or, ask for help from your Tibet tour agent. They have ways to get the tickets. Frankly speaking, it's hard to book the tickets online by yourself.

Reply to: Xining - Lhasa train
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted