We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tibet Tour

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Tibet Tour

Hi everyone,

I read on a previous forum (2012) that it is possible to show up in Kathmandu and book your Kathmandu to Lhasa overland trip in person. It sounded like it would be significantly cheaper. One travel company however, is telling me I need to book at least 1.5 months in advance. Does anyone have any experience with this?

3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
177 posts
1. Re: Tibet Tour

Dear, as you said it’s in 2012, old post. And the information is out of work. The truth is, you need to book a tour in advance. Because foreigners need to provide the Tibet Travel Permit when entering Tibet, which takes at least 12 working days to obtain. If you want to book a Tibet tour after you arrive at Kathmandu, at least you will spend more than 15 days there, then you may have enough time to get the Tibet Permit. And I don’t think it will be cheap to book a Tibet tour from a Nepali agent. A local Tibet tour company will be better.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
134 posts
2. Re: Tibet Tour

You can book your Tibet tour before you departure for Kathmandu with a Tibetan local tour agency, the agency needs around 15 days to help you apply for Tibet travel permit (If you want to visit Mt. Kailash, needs more than 1 month). And you need at least 3 working days in Kathmandu to apply for the Tibet group visa for flying to Lhasa from Kathmandu. I think it's around the same price, because Tibet tour agencies are mostly based in Lhasa, they need to send guide/driver to the border in advance to pick you up, then drive all the way back to Lhasa.

If possible, you can choose to travel from Lhasa to the border to Nepal, which is easier for you to acclimatize gradually. Good luck!

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
58 posts
3. Re: Tibet Tour

Dear, For foreign tourists, apart from China visa and Passport, they also need to apply for Tibet permit to enter Tibet. Tibet permits will be applied by your travel agency within about 12 working days before the tour starts. I agree with one floor.it's better for you to book Tibet tour with a local Tibetan travel agency! : )

Reply to: Tibet Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tibet