We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

Munnar, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

Hi all,

Can we take my 5 years old kid to Tibet ? We are planning to go there by 2 days train journey .

Need your expert opinion

Thanks .

23 replies to this topic
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
1. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

Although I havn't noticed kids on the train I see no reason why this should not be possible.

Munnar, India
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

Thanks for your reply.

My concern is about high altitude and sudden climate change .

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
2,718 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

Unless you know how your child handles high altitudes and you can acclimate him in stages over several days (not sure 2 days on the train is enough) before arrival, at 5 years old, I would pass on Tibet. This isn't like going up Huanglong Mountain (around 11,000 feet) for the day, where if he has a problem you just take him back down to a lower elevation. The average elevation in the Tibetan Plateau is nearly 15,000 feet.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
46,403 posts
851 reviews
4. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

I found that my kids, when they were younger,, would acclimatize to high elevations better than me. But everybody is different.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

Children are at the same risk as adults. First day on the train is too low to help in acclimatizing , a lot better option is to fly in to Xining and spend a night or two there first.

Edited: 29 July 2018, 11:24
Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

About 50 years ago I started working in La Paz, Bolivia, which is about the same altitude. My wife, who had been selected for her national Olympic squad, took about ten days to acclimatise. My main problem was keeping my cigar alight.

At least one member of the study team had to be flown out. You can't tell till you try.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
7. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

We stayed at the Sheraton, which I find pretty afordable, and they had a resident doctor and large oxygen bottles for those that had difficulties with the altitude.

Flying into Xining or Golmud might indeed be the better option as the more intresting part of the train trip starts from there.

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
122 posts
8. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

You can take your 5 years old boy to Tibet. Train journey is better than that of flight since the altitude becomes higher little by little. I have traveled to Tibet. Usually,Children have better adaptability than that of adults since they are shorter. And the oxygen facilities are available in 4 star hotels and above and you need to pay for it.

Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
58 posts
9. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

I think it's okay for you take a 5 years old to Tibet. You can stay in Lhasa for 2~3 days, so that you all can better adapt to altitude sickness in Tibet. I have two guests travel to Tibet Apr this year, they have two children who are around 12 years old, it's also good for them to stay in Tibet even go to Everest base camp. If you take a train to Tibet, if your kid is below 1.2 meters high, it's free for him take a train in China, about 1.2~ 1.5 high, you need to buy a Children train ticket for him.

Umeå
Destination Expert
for Leh
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?

” Usually,Children have better adaptability than that of adults since they are shorter. ”

I’d call that one more myth.

OP has the right instinct here : acclimatizing before Lhasa is the safer option and gives more days closer to full capacity .

Reply to: Can we take 5 years old boy to Tibet ? Train journey ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted