We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
334 posts
30 reviews
Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

This question may have been asked in the past (my apologies!) but I'd like to find out updated information. My travel plans include a week in China followed by a week in Tibet. I'm flying into Beijing. I'll fly back to Chengdu from Lhasa and then return to USA. At immigration in Beijing, if asked about my intended stay and travels in China, should I mention that I'm going to Tibet? I'm going to be with a large group during the week in China so we are traveling together the entire time. The group returns to China after the week together. I plan to stay back an extra week and visit Tibet. I am not sure what I should inform at immigration?

16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
3 posts
1. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

As far as the Chinese are concerned, Tibet is just another region in China. So I probably wouldn’t tell them unless asked to specify where I was going.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

Have you already got your Tibet Entry Permit?

California
Level Contributor
2,690 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

vikramts - Re your: "if asked about my intended stay and travels in China,"

I have gone through Entry Immigration to China about 16 to 18 times, maybe more, and after reading your question, it occurred to me that I don't think any of the Immigration Officers have ever asked me any question.

I walk up to the Immigration Officer, usually saying Ni Hao, hand over my passport with the Arrival Card, they process my arrival, keep the card, hand the passport back, and I usually say Xie Xie and exit, within a minute or two of walking up to the counter.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,060 posts
49 reviews
4. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

My experience is the same, at least more recently. Back in the days I sometimes get one officer who's more curious as to where I worked, etc. Nowadays, it's rare if I even get a nod. Just scan my passport, look at the camera for a picture maybe, then go.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
334 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

Thanks all. My Tibet travel agent will arrange for my Tibet TP AFTER I obtain my Chinese visa (currently in process). So I hope things work out smoothly there. I am traveling with a group of 90+ people for a week-long itinerary. A lot of those people (in fact all of them) are leaving China at the end of the week but I plan to stay on for an extra week. Since my entry point is Beijing and exit point is Chengdu (while the rest of the group returns from Beijing instead) , I booked a hotel in Chengdu for a week. Just wasn't sure how rigorous the questions can get for visitors at immigration. And also if it is safe to mention Tibet plans if asked about week#2.

Shenzhen, China
Level Contributor
2,744 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

The flights and hotel bookings are for getting the visa. After that you can "change your mind" and do something completely different. As long as you have the visa the guys at the immigration desks don't want to know what you're doing. As others have said, I haven't been questioned about my plans since my first visit thirty years ago. Things were different in those days - nods head and looks grim.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
24,060 posts
49 reviews
7. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

I usually display a silly smile. Seems to work. (Crazy guy, get him off my window fast.)

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12,548 posts
8. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

Never had Entry Immigration ask me anything about my in-China travel plans, regardless of visa type.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
334 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

Well that is a relief. I just wanted to make sure I did not get into any trouble at the start of the trip and cause problems for the rest of the group. i assume my domestic travel won't be an issue when I fly out of China from Chengdu ? If they don't ask questions when passing through immigration upon arrival, I hope they won't get too rigorous on my way out.

Holland
Level Contributor
604 posts
1 review
10. Re: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?

Also on the way out they don't question you.

Reply to: Mention Tibet travel at Chinese immigration?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tibet