We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Everest advanced base camp

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
34 posts
6 reviews
Everest advanced base camp

Has anyone been on an Everest advanced base camp trek? I am considering something like this in late September/early October https:/…everest-advanced-base-camp-trek

I didn't see so many agencies offering it, so I wonder if it's not so popular.

I have been to Kilimanjaro, but never any experience mountaineering (crampon, rope, ice axe)

Is is do-able for someone who has no mountaineering experience?

9 replies to this topic
Holland
Level Contributor
616 posts
1 review
1. Re: Everest advanced base camp

I think you are correct. It's not a normal trekking.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,133 posts
2. Re: Everest advanced base camp

The route to the advanced Everest Base Camp at about 6300 meter is a trekking route and not a mountaineering route. The only challange you face is the altitude.

Level Contributor
177 posts
3. Re: Everest advanced base camp

Normal travelers do not long for it. It requires professional experience.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
10,133 posts
4. Re: Everest advanced base camp

No sorry, it does not require any kind of professional experience all you need is physical fitness and proper acclimatization, which is the biggest risk looking at the itinerary of the tours offering that trek

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
12,600 posts
5. Re: Everest advanced base camp

The linked trip still falls into the realm of trekking as opposed to mountaineering requiring actual climbing equipment. But it is very strenuous trekking and in that respect, is something that only the physically-fit should consider. People who've done high altitude trekking and had significant problems with the altitude (even after proper acclimatization) should give this one a miss.

I'm sure you don't see many companies offering this because there isn't much demand. Generally you'll either have people on shorter Tibet trips for whom Everest Base Camp is enough, or you'll have actual mountaineers heading up for the climb. Not much in the middle.

Edited: 21 April 2018, 19:42
Lingshui County...
Level Contributor
39 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Everest advanced base camp

I haven't been on it but I am also hoping to do this trip in Sept or Oct depending on others' holiday times. One operator just emailed last weekend saying Tibet Mountaineering Assoc stopped processing permits for ABC last weekend, no reason given. Sounds to me like fake news to sell a different trip maybe. Let me know if u want to join our group. If four, price is less. It is not a technical climb, rather a trek, but requires good fitness at that altitude to avoid sickness.

Edited: 06 May 2018, 06:39
Lhasa, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
7. Re: Everest advanced base camp

It is bit of a work to get travel permit to visit Everest advance base camp, including obtaining license to climb the Everest advance mountains. It will be more costlier than other tour activities in Tibet. Probably those are the reason why most of the local agencies don't provide this tour service. However having said that, it can be arrange with some effort from agency if you are fine with above mentioned info. It will be a tailor made itinerary for a private tour, not group tour. It is doable for someone who has no mountaineering experience.You will get help from your guide , porter ,and cook.

1 post
1 review
8. Re: Everest advanced base camp

There are several permits involved in the trip to AEBC but the main license issued by the CMA is not currently available so definitely not a ploy to get you to do anpther trip. Tibet is very unpredictable so if you plan a trip you need to understand things can change last minute, which even include border closures.

It is not a techical climb at all, just high altitude.

14 posts
9. Re: Everest advanced base camp

You are right. A few of travelers like to trek at Mount Everest.

Reply to: Everest advanced base camp
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted