We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

NY , USA
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

hi we are plaaning on doing a 1.5 month trip in August starting off in Bejing and then getting the Sky train to Tibet and then onto Hanoi in nrth Vietnam. is this trip do-able, would we have to travel as far as Lhasa to get a flight to Hanoi. can anyone suggest a way of getting from Tibet to north Vietnam ? will the waether be ok at this time Aug , Sep ?

Mentioned in this post
Tibet
Tibet
China
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

I think the only places in southern mainland China which have direct flights to Hanoi are Kunming and Guangzhou. There're no direct flights from Lhasa to Hanoi.

The only overland border crossings between mainland China and Vietnam are a) Friendship Pass at Guangxi province and b) Hekou at Yunnan province.

You could choose to take the train Lhasa -- Guangzhou and then Guangzhou -- Nanning and Nanning -- Pingxiang to exit by Friendship Pass.

Or, fly Lhasa -- Zhongdian and work your way through Yunnan province to exit through Hekou.

Also note that you'll need to arrange a visa for Vietnam in advance. The most convenient places would be Guangzhou, Kunming and Nanning.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Kunming
Kunming
Yunnan, China
NY , USA
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

thanks elyse , do you know where i can book flights from tibet to hanoi ?

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

Have you misunderstood me? I've said that there're no flights for Lhasa -- Hanoi!

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
NY , USA
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

Hi Elyse, thank you for answering my questions.

sorry i meant to say can we fly from Zhongdian to Hanoi. does the sky train go by Zhongdian ? if not where is the nearest stop on the sky train Route to Zhongdian? and if we got off at this stop would we miss the spectacular scenery of the sky train route?

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

I don't think there're direct flights for Zhongdian -- Hanoi either. If you really want to go by this route you'll have to go by bus/plane to Kunming, then fly Kunming -- Hanoi.

No, no train route from Lhasa goes to/by Zhongdian. Zhongdian doesn't even have a train station to start with! The nearest stop from a train originating in Lhasa would be Chengdu.

You won't be missing anything if you got off at Chengdu. If you have the time to travel overland from Chengdu to Zhongdian you'll go by one of the most scenic areas in mainland China.

Mentioned in this post
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Kunming
Kunming
Yunnan, China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Chengdu
Chengdu
Sichuan, China
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

The sky train takes you to Lhasa.

You can fly from Lhasa to Zungdien (sp?) in Yunnan province.

I took the bus from Z. to Lijiang - a comfortable day's drive via Tiger Leaping Gorge. Liajiang is a wonderful UNESCO World Heritage Site.

1/2 day by bus to Dali, another interesting place to spend a day or two

another comfortable day drive to Kunming.

I did this trip in the opposite direction Kunming to Lhasa.

Then you could go by bus to the Vietnam border as described in many posts, Visit Sapa, then take the train to Hanoi

Mentioned in this post
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
Lijiang
Lijiang
Yunnan, China
Dali
Dali
Yunnan, China
Sapa
Sapa
Lao Cai Province, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
148 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

I forgot to mention that when I was there there were flights between Kunming and Lhasa

Mentioned in this post
Kunming
Kunming
Yunnan, China
Lhasa
Lhasa
Tibet, China
8. Re: tibet to Vietnam ?? is this possible ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 08:46