We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 hours layover in Hong Kong

4 posts
Save Topic
10 hours layover in Hong Kong

Hi! I have a nightime layover in Hong Kong this 29th february to 1 march. I arrives at 11:10 am and departs at 9:10 pm. So therefore I have two questions i hope some will help me with.

1. Is it worth travelling out to the city in the nighttime? I have planned that im staying in the city for about 1am to 5am. Are the restaurant or any shops open ? And what is the regular opening hours?

2. Does the airport express in to the city run 24/7 ?

Thank you very much :)

Mentioned in this post
Le Pain Quotidien Elements
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Cafe, European, Belgian
DiVino Wine Bar & Restaurant
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Italian, European, Wine Bar
Scarlett Cafe & Wine Bar
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, French, Bar, European
6 replies to this topic
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 hours layover in Hong Kong

I don't understand. You arrive at 11:10 am (in the morning) and depart at 9:10 pm, why would you be "travelling out to the city in the nighttime"? Shouldn't that just be in the afternoon? And why would you stay in the city from 1am to 5 am? And how is this a 10 hour layover? I am totally confused.

There are some restaurants that open 24 hours. No worry there. Restaurants generally open until 10 pm to 11 pm. Shops generally close around 9 pm to 10 pm.

Airport Express (train) does not run 24/7. About 6 am to 1 am. But there are other overnight buses that you can take to go to the city and back to the airport.

Mentioned in this post
Airport Express
Airport Express
11,424 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 hours layover in Hong Kong

Im sorry. I meant 11:10pm. And i am planning to stay in the city from 1 am to 5 am

4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 hours layover in Hong Kong

So i arrive at 11:10 pm and departs 9:10 am ***

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 hours layover in Hong Kong

Okay it makes more sense now. For those layover hours, no shop will be open. You can go to the city to take a look if you want to, but passed midnight there aren't much to see as the neon lights that lit up most of the commercial buildings around the Victoria Harbour, which makes Hong Kong night scene so mesmerizing, will be gradually switched off.

The regular airport bus A21 that will take you to the Tsim Sha Tsui area runs until midnight. You may or may not be able to make this last departure. After that, the night version of this bus, N21, will kick in at 00:20 am. The end point is Star Ferry in Tsim Sha Tsui (even better for you). You can take it (takes about 1.5 hour for the ride) to Star Ferry. Feel free to walk around Tsim Sha Tsui harbour front promenade. There are some eateries in the area that open late or 24/7. Finding food is no problem. Even some McDonald's are 24 hours. But being in Hong Kong, I would take advantage of the opportunity to sample some of the best Cantonese food.

N21 continues until 05:10 am. After that, the regular A21 will start at 5:30 am, every 15 minutes. But for A21, you cannot take from Star Ferry. You would need to walk to Nathan Road to board the bus mid-route. A21 takes about 1.25 hour to reach the airport (a little faster). If you get back to the airport at around 7:30 am you should be okay, with a little time to spare.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria Harbour
Victoria Harbour
5,817 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui
1,539 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Star Ferry
Star Ferry
20,516 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
McDonald's
McDonald's
345 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Nathan Road
Nathan Road
1,913 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,327 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 hours layover in Hong Kong

BTW: What passport do you hold? Some visitors are required to have visa to visit Hong Kong, though many aren't.

Mentioned in this post
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 hours layover in Hong Kong

I have a norwegian passport.

But afterall! Thank you very very much. I dont think that im going to the city because of the time :( bad luck. But again, thank you. Totally appreciate it

Reply to: 10 hours layover in Hong Kong
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted