We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Hong Kong

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Visiting Hong Kong

I'm visiting Hong Kong late December, after Christmas, and will stay there for 2 days.

So far I have planned the following : 1. The Peak (also go through the Wax house) 2. Ocean Park 3. Ngong Ping (Cable car and The Big Buddha statue) 4. Sky 100 5. Do little shopping for clothes, souvenirs (no fancy electronics or jewelry). I heard the best shopping areas are Causeway Bay, Mong Kok, Stanley and Ladies' Market.

But from what i read, there are some negative things about Stanley and Ladies Market, which entails the items they sell are kind of rubbishy. Is that true? Which street market, shops or mall/outlet store would be nice to visit and buy quality products (clothing, souvenirs) with reasonable price.

Are there any other areas worth visiting, how about Tsim Sha Tsui, Sheung Wan, Central or Fa Yuen St? I just want go around a little bit and experience the beauty of Hong Kong.

Since this is my first time, i'm little concerned how i can go around and use the transport. When i first land on HK Intl Airport, i get back luggage, go through costumes and buy A) Buy octopus card and load with 500 HK$ or B) Get Airport Express ticket C) Get into the bus to city? Which is more effective way to get to my hotel. Also when i leave HK, what transport/ticket do i need to buy to go to airport?

Also where can i exchange money to get the good rate? At the Airport or in city?

Thank you so much, your advises will make my travel much better.

Edited: 26 November 2015, 14:06
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,858 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Visiting Hong Kong

Don't know which hotel you will be staying yet. Hard to advise which is the more effective way from the airport to your hotel. Other factors: how many in your party? are you will to walk a little bit with luggage (if not, your choices are limited).

Generally getting an Octopus Card (one card per person) is always a good idea. You can use it to pay for most transportation (MTR, bus, ferry, tram) with the exception of taxi.

Airport and hotels are known to be the worst place to convert your money. Exchange a minimum amount you need to have to cover the first day - in transportation, food, etc.. then exchange more when you are in the city.

Stanley Market and Ladies Market (and Temple Street Night Market too) are street markets. You really can't expect to have a top-quality cloth sold in street markets.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
18 posts
2. Re: Visiting Hong Kong

Im staying at Ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan. Group of 2. Don't mind little bit walking :)

Edited: 26 November 2015, 14:35
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,858 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Visiting Hong Kong

For Ibis Hong Kong Central & Sheung Wan, you can take the Airport Express train (to Hong Kong Station, buy "group of two" tickets, for a total of HKD $160), then transfer to their complimentary shuttle bus which drops off at your hotel. That is a cost-effective and convenient way.

mtr.com.hk/en/…promotions_4persons.html

To save money, you can take the airport bus A11, alight at bus stop "Macau Ferry Terminal", then walk to your hotel (about 10 to 15 minutes). But need to use the elevated pedestrian walkpaths (may not have escalators - for your luggage)... and the streets in Sheung Wan can be a bit confusing, not easy to navigate for first-time Hong Kong visitors. Fare is HKD $40 per adult.

Edited: 26 November 2015, 14:51
Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
18 posts
4. Re: Visiting Hong Kong

So Airport Express is best choice for my situation? Which stop do i get off from Airport Express and how do i get on the complimentary / a bus that takes us to our hotel?

Anything you want to add / remove from my places to visit? Can i cover those areas in 2 days?

Edited: 26 November 2015, 15:01
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
19,858 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Visiting Hong Kong

The destination is "Hong Kong Station" from the airport. You can take the complimentary shuttle:

H1(To Western District)

to your hotel:

mtr.com.hk/en/…complom_free_bus.html

The Peak takes only a few hours. Ocean Park can be a full day, depending on how much you want to cover. Ngong Ping (Big Buddha) can take a good part of a day, with the transportation overhead.

You probably can do all on your list plus a little bit of shopping if you plan your sequence carefully.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
18 posts
6. Re: Visiting Hong Kong

Much appreciated Happy. Thanks

7. Re: Visiting Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2016, 10:47