We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for 5 nights in Hong Kong

Penang Island...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for 5 nights in Hong Kong

Hey guys, would be great if you can help me with this.

I'm travelling to HongKong, 2 Adults and 2 Kids. Arriving on 19 Nov noon and leaving 24 Nov early morning

This is my plan for now.

Day1.

Noon:

- Arrive at airport. Get octopus card.

- Travel to MongKok, check in to Hotel.

- Lunch at Tim Ho Wan

- Shopping...

Evening

- Tsim Sha Tsui. Arena of Stars, Clock Tower,

- Symphony of Lights

Night

- Temple Street.

- Dinner

Day2

Morning: Breakfast ???

Day: Ocean Park

Night: ???

Day3

Morning

- Breakfast at Mongkok

- Travel to Central

- Walk about Ginseng Street->Hollywood Rd (Opportunity for DingDing Tram???)

- Coffee at the Cupping Room

Noon

Mid Level Escalator-> MTR

Stanley Market & Lunch

Repulse Bay (if time permits)

Early Evening

Victoria Park (if time permits)

Victor Peak (Tram up Bus down)

Night

Dinner

walkabout Causeway Bay/Wanchai

Day4/Day5

Disneyland

I will likely stay in Mongkok the whole trip

Few questions that i still try to figure out

- i might get the 4 day pass on the star ferry thing

- what can i do after Ocean Park and Disneyland at night? i might already be too tired to move?

- where to have or meals? breakfast/lunch/dinner

- is Disneyland a 2 day trip? can a sacrifice the day4 to go macau instead? what is there in macau for the kids?

- am i too optimistic with day1 and day3?

- take the bus or take MTR?

Mentioned in this post
Mongkok
Mongkok
3,023 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tsim Sha Tsui
1,536 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Cupping Room
The Cupping Room
251 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Stanley Market
Stanley Market
1,806 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Repulse Bay
Repulse Bay
1,018 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Victoria Park
Victoria Park
420 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Peak Tram
Peak Tram
8,202 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,064 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland
14,903 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for 5 nights in Hong Kong

- i might get the 4 day pass on the star ferry thing

No idea what you are talking about. use your Octopus for the Star Ferry. It is cheap.

- what can i do after Ocean Park and Disneyland at night? i might already be too tired to move?

Depends on you. Take it easy. Maybe visit the markets in Mong Kok incl. Ladies Market and Gold Fish market.

- where to have or meals? breakfast/lunch/dinner

Thousands of restaurants in HK. What do you need?

Temple St night market has many food places as well.

- is Disneyland a 2 day trip? can a sacrifice the day4 to go macau instead? what is there in macau for the kids?

No! 1 day. It is tiny. There are a lot of other alternatives. Big Buddha on Lantua islands for example or another island. I would not do Macau on such a short trip. There is immigration queuing involved. It takes time. There is an old town and there is the "House of Dancing Water show" which might suite your children in case you want to go to Macau.

- am i too optimistic with day1 and day3?

Depends on your speed. I would not plan it that tight, but you can take it easy. You might have one spare day. You can use it for Stanley. Day one seems ok, even though you might only arrive in the afternoon at the hotel. Day 3 I would put for Central, Ding Ding tram, some shopping maybe in Causeway Bay, Escalator, Star ferry maybe twice (day and night) and not Stanley. Put it on another day.

- take the bus or take MTR?

Depends on where you go. Bus is nicer. Offers a view. MTR sometimes is faster.

Mentioned in this post
Star Ferry
Star Ferry
20,472 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland
14,903 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Ladies Market
Ladies Market
2,721 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Macau
Macau
China
The House of Dancing Water
The House of Dancing...
3,666 Reviews
Macau, China
Stanley, Hong Kong
Stanley, Hong Kong
2,893 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay
1,064 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Penang Island...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for 5 nights in Hong Kong

Hey Cookie, thanks for your reply.

- StarFerry has a package, Tourist ticket (4 days) *Note 2 $25.00. How much discount does Octopus Card provide in general?

- Food. I like what the locals usually eat. I prefer Coffee/Tea shops 'Cha Chan Teng'. Places that can allow me to taste Hong Kong food and does not need to fork out a fortune :)

- Day1. the Shopping item, i was planning on Ladies market, Sneaker Street, Jade Market, Flower Market, Gold Fish market.... Basically walk around Mongkok before heading to TST. Now it seems too optimistic huh? Is Langham Palace worth to visit? or its just another shopping mall? i think after Symphony of lights, i can walk around TST, have dinner and go back to hotel. Temple Street visit can be moved to after Ocean park or after Disneyland.

- Day4. If i were to remove Disneyland then i guess i would remove Sunday visit to avoid the crowd. i'm just just worried about the kids being overly bored with all the cultural visits. There's a big Buddha and big Kun Yam from where i live and the kids dont seem to enjoy that. Is Stanley going to take a full day to justify a day by itself? I mean walking at Market, Promenade and Waterfront Mart. Also, i try to squeeze in as much as possible for the kids.

Mentioned in this post
Ladies Market
Ladies Market
2,721 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Jade Market
Jade Market
431 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Mongkok
Mongkok
3,023 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
The Langham, Hong Kong
The Langham, Hong Kong
2,027 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong Disneyland
Hong Kong Disneyland
14,903 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Stanley, Hong Kong
Stanley, Hong Kong
2,893 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,865 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for 5 nights in Hong Kong

Octopus card is a "must have". You need it for all modes of transportation (MTR, ferry, tram, bus, mini bus..., except taxi) and you can pay with it at attraction like the Peak, convenience stores and many (fast food) restaurants. You could also buy single tickets, but it would be more expensive and takes too much time.

The 4 day pass is only valid for the Star Ferry rides between TST and Central and not to/from Wanchai as far as I know. Lowe deck single ticket in 2USD weekdays. Not sure if you will do more than 10 rides. It is on you to calculate. Low amount. I would not bother buying a separat 4 day ticket and to carry it separately from the Octopus card for every person in your group.

You can compare the regular MTR fares

mtr.com.hk/archive/en/tickets/single_journey…

with the Octopus fares

mtr.com.hk/archive/…octopus_fare201506.pdf

Honestly, you will not only save money, but also gain time and convenience by using Octopus. Do not consider any tourist travel passes.

Consider the group ticket for the Airport Express from/to the airport.

-food: locals... there are so many different "locals".... you will see the good "coffee shops" also in Mong Kok where you can get toast, egg and noodle soup for breakfast as well as a coffee. Many local restaurants all over. I cannot list you hundreds of them. Read the reviews. Check openrice.com for more reviews. Check out the food center at Temple St. (behind the night market stalls).

-you can still do it, but you will not have too much time. Maybe consider walking alown Nathan road or take the bus half way and enjoy the walk of the streets with many lights. Do not buy any electronics on Nathan Rd. Do you shopping on another day.

-day4: cable car to Big Buddha is usually exciting for kids as well as the ferry back. Some people like to go to Tai O with kids to join a pink dolphin tour. Stanley is not necessarily a whole day. You could do Mong Kok markets in the evening and could consider doing the Peak on the way. Peak Tram up and taxi to Stanley or bus.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294217-i1496-k548…

Stanley is doable in two hours. Small market, small promenade. Kids might enjoy boat rides or simply use the search function. There are threads with attractions for kids.

Mentioned in this post
Star Ferry
Star Ferry
20,472 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
MTR
MTR
19,976 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Airport Express
Airport Express
11,397 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Nathan Road
Nathan Road
1,910 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Nathan Hotel
Nathan Hotel
1,423 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Tai O
Tai O
1,522 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Stanley, Hong Kong
Stanley, Hong Kong
2,893 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Peak Tram
Peak Tram
8,202 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Penang Island...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for 5 nights in Hong Kong

Amazing. Thanks. Let me edit my itinerary!

5. Re: Itinerary for 5 nights in Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2016, 11:48