We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Golf equipment

Sydney
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Golf equipment

My youngest 14 year old son is keen to update some of his golf clubs as we travel through HK. Anywhere reputable that sells good quality clubs, no fakes as he is spending his own savings? Only in HK for 2 days and plenty of other shopping lists so not prepared to travel too far...

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
10,137 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Golf equipment

All the following are reputable;

Metro Golf, 15/F Melbourne Plaza, 33 Queen's Road Central;

http://www.metrogolf.com.hk/index.html

Queensway Golf International, Shun Tak Centre (Hong Kong Macau Ferry Terminal), 168-200 Connaught Road Central

http://www.queensway-golf.com.hk/

Taylor Made Golf, G/F Sino Plaza, 255-257 Gloucester Road, Causeway Bay

ABC Golf Outlet, G/F Two Chinachem Plaza, 68 Connaught Road Central and Lower Ground Floor, Leighton Centre, 77 Leighton Road, Causeway Bay

Nike Golf, Lower Ground Floor, 17 Leighton Centre, 77 Leighton Road, Causeway Bay

Golf Town, Lower Ground Floor, 16 Leighton Centre, 77 Leighton Road, Causeway Bay

Edited: 13 June 2012, 18:06
MN
Level Contributor
117 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Golf equipment

I am an avid golfer and have checked out a few places for golf and other sporting equipment while in Hong Kong and found the prices to be typically more than what I could get them back in the USA retail and never compare favorably to what you can buy online. So I would never buy anything but maybe a hat or accessory (head cover, towel, etc.) over there personally...

Not sure what prices are like where you live, but use those as your reference before buying any clubs, bags, or balls in Hong Kong...and do what you can to avoid the fakes or seconds, even at a "golf store" over there, do what you can to see if they are an authorized dealer for the brand you are interested in...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,456 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Golf equipment

At Tsim Sha Tsui, just walk up and down Hankow Road and you will see golf shops on both sides of the street. The stuff sold there is genuine.

Note that you can haggle a bit on expensive items so I suggest you walk several stores and compare.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
36 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Golf equipment

I am a golfer living in Hong Kong and I always prefer to buy my golf equipment when I travel overseas. While Hong Kong is no doubt a shopping paradise in general, shopping for golf items is quite another story. The selection is scarce, the salesperson has little product knowledge and the listed price is high. I assume you are visiting from Sydney, the only reason I can see for you to buy in HK are for those expensive Japanese brands. But for whatever reason you prefer to buy golf items in HK, you should really negotiate and never pay the listed price.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
50,456 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Golf equipment

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that Australia might have higher prices due to the significant sales tax.

Selection-wise though, that could make the price issue deceiving. Many brands have Japanese versions (with parts of the club made in or assembled in Japan). These are typically the most expensive but they might not fit Western player use anyway. Shafts of Japanese club are usually whippier vs the Western version even if they are both R or both S, etc. HK people place a high degree of confidence in something that is entirely Japanese made though so they pay a premium for it.

The same model clubs can often be found as a assembled in China or made in China version. These tend to be cheaper with comparatively stiffer shafts for some.

Anyway, it's best to do your homework. Again, on expensive clubs, haggle. The list price is often just an indicator and you should always be able to get 10% to 30% off somewhere. If they give you a discounted price right away, bargain some more.

Some Hankow Road locations have small hitting cages so you can try to swing the clubs. Besides Hankow Road, you can also find such shops (some of them just a different location) at Lee Garden Phase Two (Causeway Bay) or next door just west of World Trade Centre (Causeway Bay as well). Note that all the golf shops have closed at 77 Leighton Road (Leighton Centre) and three of them have moved to Lee Garden Phase Two.

Of the ones listed by Solent, ABC seems to have the best price if it carries the model. The best ABC to go to is probably the Lee Garden one. The shop next to World Trade is also popular.

Sales staff knowledge is uneven at best. Some have no idea what they are talking about and will say anything to make a sale.

6. Re: Golf equipment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 October 2012, 12:05
7. Re: Golf equipment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2013, 14:45