We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Topic
anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

THere is a bit of news about that a shenzhen company sells an IPED for about 105 to 110 US dollars. Yes its very similar to the ipad. Has anyone bought one?. It is worth the $105-110 US?

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur, Macau, Hong Kong
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

Hi, one must ask..what makes the Apple iPad to have sold 2 million in less than 60 days.

The Apps that are available, the multi touch screen with superfast processor.

So, on this iPed, you have to ask, any Apps, multi touch screen, processor speed, what browser is used-Safari? and does it allow multi tasking.

Maybe iPed does support FLASH...then

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

Hi again, understand,it (iPed) is on Android platform..then which version and can it be updated to FroYO and later Gingerbread.

Others you want to check is hardware,how much RAM, and screen resolution and how it shows in daylight.

If it is on Android 1.5--frankly can be considered obsolete technology..then again...no one can beat this price right. The call is on you.

What is the screen size..same as iPad,which is diagonally 9.7"?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Macau
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

And of course if an international guarantee is important to you, you can wipe Shenzhen shopping off the list completely ...

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,865 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

knockoff electronics bought in Shenzhen come with any warranty at all? of course not. You receive the stuff as-is.

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

theweek.com/article/…iped-a-105-chinese-ipad

Wellington
Level Contributor
6,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

Also

kotaku.com/5549865/china-rips-off-the-ipad-w…

techi.com/2010/…

http://mashable.com/2010/05/31/iped/

You may have seen much of these too. They seem to be relying on the same video, but some of the comments are interesting. I put the first one in because it was only written 33 minutes ago according to the net.

Edited: 02 June 2010, 01:42
NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

Thanks for the replies. Yeah I know the deal with shenzhen products, warranties - quality - etc.

Funnily enough I have a 2 year old "phone' from there that although was never the same quality as the iphone, is still working well, never skipped a beat (or a message) and was purchased for $50 AUD.

My interest in the iped is more just for reading e-books and a small amount of internet browsing from my home network. As such it would not need to be too fancy or have tons of applications. Hey at $105US , if it doesn't work it could make a nice , unique coaster.

Seriously though if any one has actually bought one and used it, I would love to know if its completely useless or not.

All the best

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,892 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

Hi again, as you have stated your how you plan to use it,viz. as an e-bookreader ,then the main considerations are:-

a). Battery life;

b). screen resolution- infact,though Apple is going to bring in ibooks to their iTunes, in my experience of using Apple iPad as an e-reader, it is rather straining on the eyes due to the LED backlight. I have a very strong inclination to believe Jobs will be improving on this in his next generation of iPad-like what he shall be unveiling with the iPhone 4th generation- HD.

If it is correct to say,this iPed only has WiFi connectivity for surfing,and even on Apple iPad WiFi version- there are already reports of unstable signals especially during staggered deployments.

I am not discouraging you in getting one,but to highlight the issues that must be taken into consideration,even though ,you have already thought of a secondary usage should it fail to perform its primary function.

IF you are going to use it more often as an e-reader,then just get an e-reader and need not be a "copy" of the favourite fruit product.

As you have mentioned,you will do a small amount of surfing-then as mentioned earlier is connectivity to WiFi and what download and upload speed can be attained,and secondly,if it is on Android platform(Cupcake),you will have a frustrating surfing experience.

Cupcake is first Android Google operating platform,and over time, based on browsing experience and download and upload speeds, they have also evolve to their present Eclair operating platform,and to even better the browsing experience on mobile internet, have come out with FroYo and complement it with a superfast processor-1Ghz Snapdragon.

hong kong
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

I live in HK and am planning a trip up there to by a few I Peds - they will make great Xmas pressents

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone bought the IPED from shenzhen

the IROBOT is probably a contender as well? Anyone have one of those.?