We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

Auckland, New...
10 posts
Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

Hi everyone,

I will be travelling via Hong Kong by myself with a baby and have roughly 1.5 days there . This will be our first time there.

I am after an advice on whether it’s worthwhile to stay in the city or airport area ( and do a day trip from there ).

We arrive at 4.20pm and our flight out is at 9.20pm next day

I’ve done some research and see that taxi to the city will cost around $50 or so which is quite expensive in my opinion as we have to go back the next day.I also see that airport hotels are quite pricey also.

So I then wonder if MRT to the city is a good option with a baby in a carrier and a couple of bags?

Also can anybody recommend a day tour? I’m just after visiting main touristy places.

Thanks a lot in advance:)

9 replies to this topic
Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
565 posts
165 reviews
1. Re: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

How far can you walk with the baby and your luggage? You can put the luggage in a cart, which is free at the airport. You can take the cart right up to the door of the airport express train, and the train doors are level with the platform. If you get off the train at Kowloon or Hong Kong stations, you can get another cart for the luggage. Choose a hotel which is close to the station or a short taxi ride (Taxis are much cheaper in HK than in NZ).

You could possibly do a DIY day tour, but, with the baby, it would be easier to do one that picks you up and returns you to your hotel - there are many companies that do this and you can check their reviews on TA.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
47 reviews
2. Re: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

taxi to the city will cost around $50 or so

In what currency is this? Cost of taxi to the city will depend on where in the city you are going. But with a baby in a carrier and couple of bags, that's the most convenient option.

Auckland, New...
10 posts
3. Re: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

Thanks for that @yvwords, that helps us a lot!

I guess I’ll do just that with the tour and accommodation , as my daughter gets impatient if we are out and about for a long time.

Auckland, New...
10 posts
4. Re: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

It’s in NZD sorry :)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
23,855 posts
47 reviews
5. Re: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

Sorry that's not expensive by big city standards, and HK is one of the more expensive cities in the world. Paying $200 to $300 (HKD) for taxi trip from the airport to the city is actually quite inexpensive.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
6. Re: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

There are very few hotels (and if you fret about this taxi fare, nothing within your budget by a long stretch) near to the Airport Express stations. If you want budget, look at the airport buses. Much cheaper than the train + connecting shuttle bus, and about as slow in getting you to your hotel (let us know which hotel for detailed advice).

For day tour, if all you care about is the touristy stuff, just go for the Big Bus hop on hop off tours. Private tours cost a lot more, but of course are more flexible.

Do get a carrier for your baby. No wheels.

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
565 posts
165 reviews
7. Re: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

If you tell us your budget for the one night accommodation, you will get suggestions of places that might suit you. If considering going on one of the airport bus routes to the city, you really need to find a hotel that is right at one of the bus stops. If you have to transfer to a shuttle bus once in the city, it will be a hassle with the baby and luggage. The airport express train is more expensive than the airport bus, but much quicker, as you are going to be getting out of the airport at the start of the afternoon peak hour.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
8. Re: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

Rush hour traffic is in the opposite direction the bus goes, so it won't add much to travel time. 5-10 mins maybe. Most of the route is motorway and unless there's been an accident or so no traffic jams there.

The train route is not much quicker, as the connecting shuttle bus has to deal with the same traffic (and possibly more so as it has to go into the small roads where the hotel entrances are). The train ride is just 20 mins from airport to Kowloon; but that doesn't get you to the hotel yet. It's 5 mins to get to the shuttle bus stop from the train platform, plus up to 20 minutes wait for the next shuttle, plus whatever time it takes to get to your hotel. Total easily 60 minutes, not much faster than the 50-80 mins the A21 takes (depending on where you get off - at the start of the urban part of the route near the Metropark in Mongkok or along Chatham Road South).

Auckland, New...
10 posts
9. Re: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old

@ThanksSocialSecurity that’s fine, taxi in Auckland is $80, that’s why I said “in my opinion “

Reply to: Hong Kong for 1.5 days with a 9 months old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted