We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need transit visa for layover in Hongkong?

Yangon (Rangoon...
2 posts
Save Topic
Do I need transit visa for layover in Hongkong?

I am Myanmar passport holder. I am going to Hualien city, Taiwan. My flight ( Mynamar national airline) will arrive HK on 5:45 am 27/6/18 and I need to change HK express flight to Hualien at 2:15 pm on the same day. Do I need transit visa to go from terminal 1 to terminal 2 at HK airport?

Thank you

5 replies to this topic
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
3,079 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need transit visa for layover in Hongkong?

I believe that if you stay airside (i.e. do not pass through HK immigration then you do not need a visa.

However if you have any checked bags then I do not believe that Myanmar national ariline will check them through to HK Express. So you would need to enter HK in order to collect your bags and check them in again for the onward flight. To do this you would need a visa. The normal time to get a visa is 4-6 weeks, so it is probably too late for you to get a visa now.

So basically you can only make your journey if you travel with cabin baggage only.

Yangon (Rangoon...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need transit visa for layover in Hongkong?

Thank you for information and advice

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
8,765 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need transit visa for layover in Hongkong?

https:/…visit-visa-entry-permit.html indeed confirms no need for visa if just transiting (i.e. staying airside) but to claim luggage and check in again (note: T2 is not a real terminal, it's a check-in desk area only) you do need visa to clear immigration and claim your luggage.

As it's in three weeks, you don't have the time to apply for visa, so no choice but to fly with hand luggage only.

Dhaka City...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need transit visa for layover in Hongkong?

Hi

Did u face any problem there?in Hong Kong airport?

Actually I'll also go to Nanjing...&there will be a transit for 2 hr...

Plz hlp

New Forest, United...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
11,315 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need transit visa for layover in Hongkong?

What passport do you hold, if its Bangladeshi you need a transit visa. There are some exemptions but it wouldn't appear that you qualify;

https:/…hong-kong-transit-visa-waiver.html

Reply to: Do I need transit visa for layover in Hongkong?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted