We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
298 posts
258 reviews
Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

Hi,

Is there anyone who has recently had experience (2017/2018) sailing on the Century Paragon? This seems to be the best ship on the day we wish to sail, judging from the agent websites on Yangtze River cruises. I was almost about to book until I came upon comments on TA dated 2014/2013 which haven't been so nice although there was one good one in 2016.

People have complained that the clientele are predominantly Chinese. We usually like some kind of interaction with other passengers. In the big dining room, there aren't many westerners. There was a comment that if you arrived late, you will get stale cookies and apples. So essentially, we would have to upgrade to the VIP dining room to have company and get better meals. Can anyone give me a rough figure of what the additional costs would be?

The ship is now 6 years old. What state is it in?

Would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
3 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

We just came back from our China trip and did the Century Legend not Paragon cruise. It was absolutely fabulous. We were booked in a basic cabin but our tour guide (from China Highlights) who dropped us off and got us settled suggested that she would ask about an upgrade and find out the cost. We did upgrade to the VIP dining room and bigger room and we were really glad that we did because it was uncrowded and quite luxurious. Our room was spacious and we even had a tub in the bathroom which was quite nice. The increased cost was $500 for our room. We enjoyed talking with some of the other people in the VIP dining area. The other dining area looked more crowded and not as nice. I did not talk to any of the Asian guests because of the language barrier. It was such a beautiful cruise going through the gorges and even with everyone on the top deck enjoying the view, it was not crowded at all. The Century Legend cruise was one of the highlights of our trip and we had a chance to relax and see the beautiful landscapes after unwind from the heavy sightseeing in the cities. So don't miss it.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
298 posts
258 reviews
2. Re: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

Thanks Irene. Wow, $500. That's more than the price for one person in a deluxe cabin. I guess it makes a big difference to the whole trip.

3 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

I don’t remember what we paid when I checked it out when I planned and booked it which was maybe 8 months in advance but it seemed reasonable. And since the money was already spent and paid for the extra was OK. Also, the century legend is a very nice boat. I would still enjoy any of the accommodations as the real treat is seeing the beautiful vistas. I felt the upgrade was worth it but the regular accommodations was also nice enough.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
4. Re: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

Hi, you can consider my review recently posted on Chongqing/Three Gorges.

We sailed with Century Paragon just last May 22.

Thanks and goodluck!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
298 posts
258 reviews
5. Re: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

Thanks JDCE1231! I booked a cabin about two weeks ago with the restaurant upgrade. According to the sales manager, you don’t get better food but you get to enjoy your meal in a more private setting.

A tip for others who may be considering booking - I dealt directly with the cruise line and found that they provided me with good service as well as the best price. :)

K S
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
6. Re: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

Hi Fran, my wife and I have just returned from China and did the Century Paragon Cruise....we settle on a normal cabin with the VIP dinning upgrade....everything about the cruise was excellent (food, room and excursions).... I spoke to other western tourists who settled on the normal dinning room (exactly the same food as the VIP area) and they stated that the food was plentiful and the everyone was allocated a set dinning table (so no elbows out) or searching for somewhere to sit. How some people on this forum can say it is a waste of time and that there are better things to see and do in China for 3/4 days are sadly mistaken....but then again that's my opinion and they have theirs. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and the lights when departing Chongqing are much better that the Symphony of Lights in Hong Kong. Have fun.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
298 posts
258 reviews
7. Re: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

Thanks for sharing your experience Ronnie. I am certainly looking forward to this cruise.

Ballarat, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
8. Re: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

Hi, wondering if you kow how much was the food upgrade package to the Vip (not including room)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
298 posts
258 reviews
9. Re: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise

USD50 per person for the upgrade to the VIP dining room.

Reply to: Your Experience on Century Paragon, Yangtze River cruise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chongqing