We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

can you use their new Messanger App? I just want to know if I can send and receive messages from back home in Australia with the new Messanger App that Facebook have developed taking messages out of the Facebook app?

Just wanted to see if this is ok as I have free wifi in all the hotels we are staying at (thanks to joining all the reward programmes) and although I have a TravelSim card with plenty of credit (that I won) I know it chews through credit quickly for sms and even short calls.

What about Skype? Is there any problems using Skype in China?

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

Skype is usually OK, but you will need a VPN to use Facebook.

Just Google it on your own. If you ask about VPN on here, you will get dozens of disguised spammers trying to sign you up for their own services.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 08:16
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

Should add, for the sake of clarity, that all aspects of Facebook and all apps that are related to Facebook are blocked as well as the main program.

China's blocking of things they don't like is done with a broad brush, not with selective precision.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,984 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

The Messenger app may or may not work actually. I have not installed it. ZhongguoKm gave you a generic answer but maybe someone who actually tried it can reply.

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
167 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

My daughter and I send messages using Wechat. I understand it is quite popular in China.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,569 posts
543 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

Yes, Wechat works. I use it regularly here (in Kunming.)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,984 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

But unless the OP converts all his friend to Wechat then it is of no use to him.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

I think I might just stick with Viber. I will make sure both of my kids have it on their phones and I will contact using that. Seems like it might be easier than downloading an app that may or may not work. Thanks anyway.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

if that facebook messenger app is working today, it is no guarantee it works tomorrow. Whenever they see new things coming up that they don't like, they will block it without any notification.

Skype, viber, wechat and whatsapp are working. No idea what they will do with the last, since it has been bought by Facebook. I also read they are regulating wechat more and more. Until now I did not see any changes.

But the best way is to install a VPN on your PC and phone.

Edited: 10 August 2014, 14:19
Toronto
Level Contributor
585 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

When I was in Beijing in June, the FB messenger app worked but Facebook didn't...however my iphone messages were much more reliable. I got a roaming package from my mobile provider and used wi-fi most of the time.

10. Re: I know you can't use facebook normally in China but........

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 09:48