We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please provide feedback on my 3-day itinerary

Fayetteville...
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please provide feedback on my 3-day itinerary

We have a three-day first visit to Beijing beginning next week. Because of the season and holiday and our ages (50-70) I have drafted this itinerary.,

I would appreciate suggestions on the itinerary and restaurants.

Day 0 Arrive 9:30 pm, check into Hilton Hotel Wangfujing

day 1 Saturday, February 13

CAR SERVICE: (pick up at Hilton Hotel Wangujing)

bird nest (50RMB/person) 鸟巢,水立方 and water cube(30RMB/person)

Afternoon--Great wall mu tian yu section ( 40RMB/person) 慕田峪长城 Mutianyu Pass. The ski lift up and toboggan down?

Do not want to hike, just scenery and photo op

Maybe shopping in Wangfujing area near hotel

Traditional Beijing Duck dinner for nephews birthday. Is Da Dong Wangfujing walkable from the Hilton Wangfujing or will taxis be difficult

on New Years Eve? How to make reservations?

watch the fireworks in the Chinese New Year Eve---where?

day 2 Sunday, February 14

ON OUR OWN: (Holiday)

Tian an men square ( free of charge) flag raising ceremony at dawn & circle Mao’s Tomb

Forbidden city ( 60RMB/person) walk through only for photo ops, or audio tour 故宫

Lunch--Noodle Loft or Old Beijing Noodle King? Other?

Confucius Temple/Lama temple ( 25RMB/person) 雍和宫

Maybe fairs in Beijing during Spring festival to see folk performances

(stores are closed)

Foot massage

Wangfujing pedestrian street, Suggestions for dinner?

Donghuamen Night market

day 3 Monday, February 15

WITH GUIDE--400RMB/day (9hours ) (no extra fee), transportation by taxi

Temple of heaven ( 35RMB/person) early morning exercises? 天坛

(or is this the best day for noodles?)

Pearl Market

Summer palace (60RMB/person) 颐和园

Drum & Bell Towers -drop or drive by? Or move this to day 1?

Beijing zoo (20RMB/person) for pandas only

Hutong old alley way tour (free of charge)(you can experience the local old Beijinger's culture)

Rickshaw?

dinner at Ghost Street (Gui Jie)

Possible acrobatics show

day 4 Tuesday, February 16

ON OUR OWN: (short day)

Panjiayuan market (go as early in the morning as possible),

Our flight departs at 1:30 pm, leave for airport at 11:00??

I think some of this is rushed but I am not certain where to make changes and would appreciate your suggestions.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,752 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please provide feedback on my 3-day itinerary

Ok, lots of questions here. Let me take a shot at a few.

Day 1: Yes, lift up and toboggan down is fine. The top of the wall is not flat, a lot of uneven stairs. Tiring if you are not in shape. Wangfujing is the last place to go shopping in Beijing. No locals go there. I am not sure what is open or close on new year's eve but for a $4 taxi ride you can see interesting places. At night I suggest The Place (Shimaotiandi) or the Sanlitun area. Lots of restaurants around those places. You can also go to Solana (Lansegangwan) which is a shopping mall with lots of restaurants in it and some bars.

You can walk to DaDong from the hotel. I am not sure if they take reservations, very few restaurants do as far as I know. You just show up and take a number.

There are fireworks absolutely everywhere. Apparently ground zero at midnite will be around the Drum and Bell Tower.

Day 2: Do you really want to get up at 4h30 am to go see the flag raising??? I am not sure that the Forbidden city is opened on new year's day. I think everything is closed that day except some restaurants. The best place to go is parks. Maybe you could go to Ritan park, there will be a lot of people there but it can be fun. Also, if everything is closed as I suspect, you could walk around some hutongs. In any case, do yourself a favour, do not stay on Wangfujing. It is ok to go there one time but get out of this tourist ghetto and see Beijing.

Day 3: some places start to open, maybe you need to do the Forbidden city that day. Start your day at the Temple of Heaven though.

There won't be much traffic. You should make it to the airport in less than 45 minutes.

2. Re: Please provide feedback on my 3-day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 09:48