We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will my family survive the food?????

London, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
66 reviews
Will my family survive the food?????

I'm thinking of taking my husband and 2 girls to China in 2011, we will do Beijing, Xi'an and Chengdu. Now I've read that Beijing has McDonalds and other places but what I'm worried about is when we get to xi'an and Chengdu will my pasta only ( and I'm talking just pasta no sauces) eating children and meat and two veg husband survive the food?

While I will eat and try anything they are unbelievably unadventurous in the food dept. I don't think that we should miss out on world experiences just because they are so picky, but i can't stand a holiday full of moaning about the food?

Can anyone advise?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
175 reviews
1. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

In Chengdu, Sims Cozy Hostel has pretty good food - both western and Chinese. Nice place to stay as well. See http://www.gogosc.com/

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,656 posts
824 reviews
2. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

This post is almost too funny. You are not going in the jungle. There are McDonalds and KFC everywhere in China. You will also find all kinds of international food you may want. There are also plenty of supermarkets if you wish to do something yourself.

London, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
66 reviews
3. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

Really, that's not what i imagined at all. Also Sims cozy hostel is where i have earmarked to stay so that's good news. We are new to travelling abroad and only got passports for the kids (10.6) last year so i guess we are very naive but eager to see the world as i couldn't bear to be in Spain with the masses.

Thanks for your replies, most of you who travel write about the great traditional food you ate and not so much about finding western food, don't get me wrong, we're not on a world tour of McDonalds, i just want to make sure we all have a good time. Hopefully in time, the rest o fmy family will start to try new foods!!!

Thanks again

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

its now in the 21st century.not in the 19th century.U will find apart from chinese foods there r many other international n western chain of restaurants in Beijing n even at Chengdu.China is not the same as many yrs ago.,even the chinese r adapting very well to all sorts of food n so i hope u will be willing to try out some chinese food aswwell.If not it defeats yr purpose of visiting China in the first place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
66 reviews
5. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

I hardly think that it "defeats the whole purpose of visiting China" just because some do not like the food, does China not have the most magnificent historical sites. I'm pretty sure there's more to China than just the food. Thanks for your imput anyway...............?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,822 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

You will be able to find western restaurants in all the cities you are going to. If your kids like pasta do they like noodles as well? Lots of stores sell the dried 2 minute noodle that you just add boiling water too.

But you will be able to find Italian places, Pizza places & western restaurants as well as KFC & MacDonalds. My 2 girls can sometimes be a bit fussy so I can sympathize.

In Beijing there are also 2 chains of Deli's called April gourmet and Jenny Lou's. There are quite a few of them spread about and you can buy western food & imported goods there as well.

For your husband you could try the Outback Steak house in Wangfujing if he needs a fix of Steak & fries;)

In Chengdu we ate at a great little Italian restaurant called High Fly. It's right next to the Sofitel. Signs & menus in English. Come out of the main Sofitel entrance and turn right.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
7. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

In most major cities in China u can find many wsten food outletsin prime areas or in the central part of the city.Imagine that there was even a Starbucks at F.City until someone made so much noice out of it.Im sure u wont be lack of western food.In fact McD n KFC /Pizza has so many branches sprouting up in China that it has become the main source of revenue for the companies.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
8. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

Soory that i sounded alittle harsh in earlier reply,Annie is always a gentle type,n hope u will have a wonderful time here.,n actually u may find that the menu in certain world wide chains of restaurants in China may even be more varied.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
27,037 posts
2,231 reviews
9. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

i think part of the journey is to try the local food. You can get western food at home.

When I travel to Asia western food is the last thing I eat. And I love my steaks.

Tommo

London, United...
Level Contributor
230 posts
66 reviews
10. Re: Will my family survive the food?????

Thanks Annie thats great! My kids love noodles, i keep telling them they're having chinese when i do noodles and fried chicken to try and get them thinking that way. But my husband will not even eat that so yes, a steakhouse would be a great idea. Thanks again.

Heather