We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Catherine Lu

Syd
6 posts
Save Topic
Beware of Catherine Lu

Like many of you, I contacted a couple of tour guides as recommended by people in the forum. In the end, I decided to go with Catherine Lu (catherine_1130@hotmail.com). Please stay away from her.

She was not able to accompany us on our trip and sent her father instead. Mr. Lu is an dishonest and bad tempered man. The negotiated deal included toll, fuel and parking fees. At the toll booth, he said he had no small change on him and we ended up paying for the toll fee. He would park his vehicle so far away from the attraction to avoid paying for parking and we would have to walk a long distance. In the end, he refused to take us back to the hotel unless we pay him extra money.

Therefore, please beware and avoid going with Catherine or her father. Their vehicle registration number is PW 9152.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,407 posts
822 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

Normally you pay the guide or driver at the end of the day. If you had to pay anything extra along the way you just deduct it from the agreed amount. Also, when you pay at the end then they will drive you back home for sure or they worked all day for nothing. Therefore I assume that you paid in advance, that was your first mistake.

Orlando, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

I'm agree with JPDeM , you shouldn't pay him in advance.

Syd
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

Not only that, when he took us for lunch we even invited him to join us and he did. What an ungrateful man.

I hate to badmouth others but I hope that people avoid them at all cost because the drama just spoil the whole experience!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
714 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

One more reason to consider travelling around on your own. What with metro and taxis it's pretty easy to get about. Maybe for a trip to the Wall you can get a driver. Otherwise do your own thing and it's less hassle and more fun all around.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,167 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

There is something in your mail that confuses me. You say Catherine could not make it and send her father instead. That can not be, because she cannot drive, so couldn't be your driver in the first place. She only guides.

Her father works as a driver for her, but does not speak any English, so he cannot replace her as a guide. I have met him a couple of times. I know him as a quite and nice man. Also on the money side I never had a single problem. Even when a trip woul take much longer then planned I was not asked for extra money.

This looks typically as a case where it was not clear what you would think you would get and what she thought you asked.

I guess the combination of getting something else and the fact that mr. Lu does not speak English set of the day on a wrong foot and maybe caused for more misunderstanding.

I'm sorry your day was bad, but then to call on everybody to avoid them, is for me a bit over the top. I know Catherine very well (so not just a one time tour, and I am not a one time poster advertising for her), and I know she has a lot of returning customers, so in general it cannot be that bad. But sometimes things can go wrong.

Syd
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

Yes she did not come to the trip and sent her father instead. But she is the one communicating and arranging for the trip so I feel that somehow she has to be responsible. I had chinese speaking relatives with me so communicating with him was not a problem. Although I can’t speak but I can definitely understand his curses and foul words. We refused to pay him extra so in the end we had to get off his van and took subway to our hotel (3 interchanges in between, so you can imagine how far). But of course I cannot testify how the treatment would be different with Catherine around.

Madrid
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

I really agree with your viewpoint,BePu,I am from Madrid (Spain),This Sep my family and I have been to Beijing,China.We chose Catherine as our guide, She is a very nice tour guide,We had a very good time in Beijing,My daughter like her very much.

Since she did not come to the trip,Why did you let us beware of Catherine Lu

Her father does not speak any English,How could he replace Catherine to show you around.You said that you can’t speak but you can definitely understand his curses and foul words. It's impossible you can know what he said.Maybe you misunderstand what they said.

I feel the poster seemed like catherine's competitor,If so,It is small of you to say so.

Orlando, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

I think Borja2007 is self promotion, let us see your post before.

Orlando, Florida
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

if the poster is Catherine's competitor, how does she or he got to know her car's plate number? that is weird......(unless her father posted)

Xiamen, China
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware of Catherine Lu

"I feel the poster seemed like catherine's competitor"

I'm sure Borja2007 is Catherine Wu, by looking at her history.