We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quanjude roast duck

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
436 posts
257 reviews
Save Topic
Quanjude roast duck

I would like to know which branch is close to subway station and not too crowded. I am staying near to jianguomen station. Do I need to make reservation, and how many days in advance? Is one duck sufficient for my family of 3 adults anhd 2 children, assuming we are ordering other vegetable dishes? Will RMB400 be enough budget to eat at Quanjude for my family? Appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quanjude roast duck

If you also have vegetables, one duck is enough for 4 persons.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,629 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quanjude roast duck

I think your closest Quanjude restaurant will be the Jianwai one in Chaoyang. It's in the Silk Market on the 6th Floor.

The Jianguomen subway exit is across the street so use the underground walkway.

I would book just to make sure as these restaurants are popular. There are other Beijing duck restaurants but i guess you wont go wrong with this one:)

Qingdao, China
Destination Expert
for Qingdao
Level Contributor
912 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quanjude roast duck

One duck is enough. Duck is delicious, but I don't like the soup. It seems that these guys add too much salt.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quanjude roast duck

I think not everyone knows about the soup.

If you have roast duck, you only get part of the duck meat. Since the chinese are very efficient with food, they normally eat about all of the duck.

So if you have a whole roast duck in the restaurant you can ask for a soup made of the rest of the duck parts. Some chinese take home the duck remainders to cook the soup at home.

Do not be surprised if you find the duck head in your soup :-)

It also seems that grilled duck heads and necks are a delicacy. And if you are not into ducks, try the grilled pork tails :-)

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quanjude roast duck

Hi there, I m planning to visit the outlet in WangFuJing next week. It doesnt seems very far from the subway station frm the map and its seems in the middle of shopping malls, so plenty to do.But I doubt it wont be packed.

Would be good to have an idea on the price of food in QuanJude. Can anyone advise? Thx

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Quanjude roast duck

There is one in Wangfujing close to Subway Station,the big one is at Hepingmen,close to Hepingmen Subway Station.

A duck cost about 168 yuan.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quanjude roast duck

I read this restaurant is one of the few that add service charges (10%).

In these kind of restaurants it is often the drinks that can make up a large part of the bill.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quanjude roast duck

400rmb is definetly not enough for Quanjude.The duck is 168or 198rmb +10% service fee.if you want just to try the duck 1 duck is enough,if you want to get full,1 is not enough.

Other vegetable dishes between 30-100rmb each.Drinks are expensive.

Why don't you try some local duck restaurant?Near CHaoyangmen station.From jianguomen is only one stop on cycle line.

Then you go out from Exit B.You will find the Bank of China,then you walk to the west(inside the second ring road)you will see a overpass,to another side of the street,you will see Dongsimin fang(东四民芳)this is a famous local duck restaurant,duck is 88rmb,no service charge,you can have as many drinks as you like

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
4,478 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quanjude roast duck

I agree with chineseqing_2008: why not go for the more smaller restaurants.

It gives you a better idea of the life in Beijing then the restaurants that are recommended by all the city guides, and where you have to make a reservation in order to sit amongst other tourists.

singapore
Level Contributor
39 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quanjude roast duck

During my first trip with colleagues to Beijing a few years ago, we ate Beijing duck at Quanjude because of its historical reputation. All of us didn't think it was good. The duck at Li Bai, Hua Ting and Peach Garden in Singapore beat it hands down. Then my friend at our embassy recommended us DaDong. Went there and we all thought it was very good.

Last month, was in Beijing with my family and we ate duck at both restaurants. We all agreed that DaDong was very much better. Whole duck at both places cost the same RM198. For your family size, I reckon about S$120-$150 should get you a good meal at both restaurants with 1 duck, 1 other meat dish, 1 vegetable and maybe tofu washed down with Chinese tea. Should be more than enough. Between the two, my recommendation is to go for DaDong at Dongsishitiao near where you are staying. Note that unlike DaDong, Quanjude (at least the one at Wangfujing) does not take reservations. You wait and how long that is depends on your luck that day.

If you are willing to fork up to S$200 (which is about $40 per head), go to Made In China at Grand Hyatt. The duck is fantastic and so are all the other dishes esp lamb in cumin. Best lamb I ever tasted. The desserts esp champagne sherbet are also fantastic. By Singapore standards, this is a good price for the quality and portion - and I am a true Singaporean foodie. Take note that this is a very popular place so reserve your table early in advance. They take bookings for 6.30pm or 8.30pm. It was arguably the best place we went to in Beijing.

As a foodie, I also tried the lower end. I can recommend you the Chinese fast food restaurant Zeng Kung Fu (recognise it by the Bruce Lee logo.) For about SGD$5, you get a balanced meal of meat (e.g chicken, beef, pork cooked different ways), vegetable, soup,steam egg and rice. It is quick, portions are big and food is tasty. Great for lunch and cheap. We found one at the basement food street of Oriental Plaza Mall (Wangfujing subway station).

Hope you find the info useful.