We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

WNY
Level Contributor
163 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

I've read online (including a tagged post here) that this route is closed but (supposedly) reputable tour companies are still offering this tour route. Can anyone please let me know this route's current open/closed status?

Also many posts say to leave early - 6:30am to 7:30am - but the Downtown Backpacker hostel's trip meets at 8:20am...do you think this is too late a start?

Will be there in mid-May.

Any insights much appreciated!

cheers,

(=

13 replies to this topic
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
699 posts
1. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

the gate is closed between jinshanling and simatai: cardriverbeijing.com/index.php/why-and-where…

it would take about 2.5hrs on the way to jinshanling or simatai from downtown

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

Closed gates in China does not always mean you cannot go around it :-)

Simatai is developing its own tourist industry now a days, and forces entry to their official gates. But I guess there are people who can take you from Jingshanling section to Simatai.

WNY
Level Contributor
163 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
3. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

Thx a mint for the replies and info, BeijingerAdvisor & BePu!

The link is much appreciated and I understand now why it is closed but a driver told me he could still do the trip. Looks like the East Gate parking lot is the end point - looks great...so excited!

cheers,

(=

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
13,134 posts
4. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

You can walk from Jinshanling to WEST Simatai up to the bridge, which is still a good and scenic hike. But not further to regular Simatai. This is what most tour companies would be offering. From the endpoint of West Simatai, you can backtrack a few towers and get off the Wall, then use the path to walk to the parking lot of Simatai and access that separately. A private company has control over Simatai and sets access and entry fee policies.

WNY
Level Contributor
163 posts
40 reviews
26 helpful votes
5. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

kvchinaa, thx a mint for the awesome clarification - much appreciated!

Ottawa, Canada
2 posts
6. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

Do you knkw the status now of this area? Is it back open or does it not makes to to go to Jinshangling section. I heard it was the best for fewer tourists and a good long walk and seeing The Great Wall. Appreciate any current update for November 2017.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
6,241 posts
9 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

There is one reason why Jingshanling has been under renovation. Attract mass Chinese tourism. Chinese tourism market is growing much faster that foreign tourism. There is where the new money is.

Foreigners like the authentic parts of the wall. Chinese in to cultivated stuff, even if that means pretty fake. It is about moving masses around: convenient and quick.

Europe
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
151 reviews
298 helpful votes
8. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

As a matter of fact I was there last week, the 26th, and spoke to others who were there the day before... so yes it's open.

Tickets were ¥45.

Note that only the East gate is open, although you can exit through the West gate (but not enter). We walked from the East to West gate and took about 3 1/2 hrs, taking plenty of breaks.

The part up to the Wall from the East gate is extremely steep. Once on the Wall, there are at least 3 paths down to the West gate. We took the last one. As the West gate entrance is under construction (looks like this is going to be the next Badaling-a huge infrastructure has been put in place...) you have to walk almost 2km from the Wall to a point where you can meet a car. It's flat and easy though.

We had a glorious walk and had the place practically to ourselves. Most people who walked up stayed around the East gate. Between the two gates we had the structure practically to our selves. There was more staff (cleaners & guards along the way) than tourists...)

Be quick. The new infrastructure at the West gate is geared for enormous crowds...

Europe
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
151 reviews
298 helpful votes
9. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

I was responding to #6: Jinshanling is open. Can't comment on the connection with simatai. And #7 is spot on...

Westminster
Level Contributor
105 posts
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?

I'm trying to figure out how to start from the east gate and walk to the west gate - from the vague maps online they look like very Separate areas?

I'm planning to go to jinshabling via the tourist bus which i assume arrives at the west gate and ticket office?

How does one get from there to the east gate?

Slightly confused... Maps or advice welcome!

Thanks!

Reply to: Route between Jinshanling and Simatai Open?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted